[News] Moon Lie Still Contains Microsoft/Novell Lies

  • Subject: [News] Moon Lie Still Contains Microsoft/Novell Lies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 02:03:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moonlight 2.0 open to all - with a catch

,----[ Quote ]
| There is one simple reason - the version of
| Moonlight that other distributions can offer
| will be able to play only media which are in
| free or open source formats.
|
| To play any other format means one has to buy
| licences for proprietary media codecs from
| the owners.
|
| Users who obtain Moonlight from Novell will
| have access to these codecs.
|
| But you wouldn't know about this if you read
| the Novell press release. (Microsoft hasn't
| deemed this announcement, which apparently is
| another earth-shaking one for the Moonlight
| project head, Miguel de Icaza, important
| enough to issue a media release).
|
| Here's how Novell puts it: "The covenant is
| no longer limited to users that obtain
| Moonlight from Novell or its channel, but now
| covers users who obtain Moonlight from any
| third party, including other Linux
| distributors. Media Codecs for MP3 and VC1,
| and in the future H.264 and AAC, are
| supported through the Microsoft Media Pack, a
| Microsoft-delivered set of media codes that
| offer optimized and licensed decodecs to
| every Linux user who obtains Moonlight from
| Novell."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/30151/1090/

9 Reasons Enterprises Shouldnât Switch To Hyper-V

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Breadth of OS support
| Before we get into the nitty gritty, letâs
| start with the most basic of features and
| simplest of tasks. Say you are an IT shop
| that supports more than just Windows servers;
| you have a mixed environment with different
| flavors of Linux and Unix. Hyper-V, however,
| supports only Windows and SuSE Linux. Thatâs
| it. If I am to recommend an enterprise
| virtualization infrastructure, it would need
| to support a bit more than one flavor of
| Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/12/9_reasons_enter.html;jsessionid=HMXA4331EYDWBQE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN

Recent:

Microsoft and Intel port Silverlight to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel and Microsoft have announced a new port of
| Silverlight to Linux, specifically for the Intel-
| sponsored Moblin operating system running on Atom-
| powered devices such as netbooks. The port enables
| Intel to include Silverlight as a supported runtime in
| the Atom Developer Program, which will feed an iPhone-
| like App Store.
|
| Microsoft has already provided Intel with Silverlight
| source code and test suites. Intel will build an
| optimized Moblin version of Silverlight, which
| Microsoft will supply to OEMs.
|
| There are a couple of surprising aspects to the
| announcement. One is that a Linux implementation of
| Silverlight already exists, the open source Moonlight
| project. We asked Microsoftâs Brian Goldfarb, director
| of the Developer Platform Group, why Moonlight was not
| being used for Atom devices. Goldfarb replied by making
| a distinction between "broad Linux," which is targeted
| by Moonlight, and specific Linux-based devices where
| Microsoft might support other implementations.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/24/silverlight_to_linux/

Banshee UI to be in Moonlight

,----[ Quote ]