[News] Desktop Success Stories with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Desktop Success Stories with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 02:07:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Switching to Linux: One man's personal experience

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux boots up faster than Windows and has a
| snappy feel. With Ubuntu on my notebook, for
| instance, double clicking a 1 mb Word
| document takes 15 seconds to start Open
| Office and open the document. Using
| Microsoft Word in Vista takes 50 seconds. In
| both systems the task is much faster when
| run a second time, possibly due to caching -
| two seconds for Linux and six for Vista.
|
| No OS is perfect, but I've found Linux to be
| fast, stable, and secure. While I still use
| Windows for a few specific programs, Linux
| offers greater peace of mind in everyday use
| - especially when online.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2009/12/switching_to_linux_one_mans_pe.php

Get a Linux desktop to make Windows and OS X users weep with envy

,----[ Quote ]
| Good looks was never supposed to be a
| priority for Linux apps. It wasn't so long
| ago that we seemed to be struggling to get
| even basic eye-candy such as anti-aliased
| fonts to work on the Linux desktop, but
| things have changed almost beyond
| recognition.
|
| It's now fair to say that the Linux desktop
| is at the forefront of visual effect, a
| cornucopia of eye-candy overflowing on to
| your desktop. And with a few tweaks, it can
| look even better.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/get-a-linux-desktop-to-make-windows-and-os-x-users-weep-with-envy-657293

Be Free â Use Linux on your PC

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can, we can save lots of money in the
| basics by taking the Linux route, versus the
| mainstream-friendly Windows path.
|
| Grand total for a full-featured operating
| system, and robust office-suite:
| Windows = $349.94
| Linux   = $0.00
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/12/18/be-free-use-linux-on-your-pc/

Recent:

French army sides with Mozilla in Microsoft email war

,----[ Quote ]
| A new email client unveiled by Mozilla this
| week contains code from an unusual source --
| the French military, which decided the open
| source product was more secure than Microsoft's
| rival Outlook.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B91G020091210

French military helps power Thunderbird