[News] GPL Licensing Simplified by SFLC, More Symbols Designed

  • Subject: [News] GPL Licensing Simplified by SFLC, More Symbols Designed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 02:52:56 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Fulfillment center aims to protect companies from GPL lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| On the heels of a recent lawsuit over GPLv2
| violations filed against 14 companies by the
| Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC), open source
| software service provider OpenLogic has
| launched a service that helps companies ensure
| compliance with GPL licenses. The Open Source
| Fulfillment Center offers services including
| consulting, application audits, license
| analysis, and fulfillment support.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenLogic-Open-Source-Fulfillment-Center/

Understanding Licenses, bit by bit (3)

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past two installments, I suggested a
| basic icon theme to describe the important
| points of a variety of Free Software licenses,
| applied those icons to the top ten most popular
| Free Software licenses and found that several
| of them are âthe sameâ in terms of icons â
| which suggests that either what the two
| licenses does is roughly the same (so we can
| consider them equivalent) or that there is a
| distinguishing characteristic that hasnât been
| taken into account yet. The second installment
| took a close look at two licenses that were
| âthe sameâ and illustrated a third option: that
| Iâd applied the icons wrongly.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/adridg/?p=588

Recent:

Commercial Open Source Vendors Turn to Court: Artifex v. Palm

,----[ Quote ]
| This complaint may signal the beginning of
| a trend by commercial open source
| companies with âdual licensingâ models:
| the success of that model, which is used
| by most commercial open source companies,
| depends on the difference in the scope of
| rights available under an open source
| license and a commercial license as well
| as the value of the additional protections
| (performance warranties, support and
| indemnification) available under the
| commercial license.
`----

http://lawandlifesiliconvalley.com/blog/?p=376

Palm Sued Over PDF Technology Dispute

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/6679/palm-sued-over-pdf-technology-dispute/

Press Releases

,----[ Quote ]
| San Francisco, CA (December 02, 2009) Artifex
| Software Inc. today announced that it has
| filed a lawsuit in the United States District
| Court for the Northern District of California
| against Palm, Inc., based on Palmâs
| unauthorized copying and distribution of one
| of Artifexâs registered technologies. Artifex
| is the developer and copyright owner of
| muPDF, a high-performance PDF rendering
| engine.
`----

http://www.artifex.com/pressreleases/palm.htm

Palm Pre GSM source code now available

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Harald Welte, the source code for the
| Palm Pre GSM model, currently being sold in Europe is
| now available from the opensource.palm.com site.
| Earlier this week, Welte pointed out that the source
| code for the new model of the Palm Pre was not
| available to the public, as it should be to comply
| with the terms of the GPL. An email to Welte from Palm
| has now confirmed the availability of the code for
| WebOS 1.1.2 and 1.1.3.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Palm-Pre-GSM-source-code-now-available-831457.html

Palm Pre GSM model source code available

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2009/10/16/#20091016-palm_pre_gsm-source_code