[News] IBM Shows 10 Massive Linux Developments That Led to Today's Linux Dominance

  • Subject: [News] IBM Shows 10 Massive Linux Developments That Led to Today's Linux Dominance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:40:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 important Linux developments everyone should know about

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux technology, development model, and
| community have all been game-changing
| influences on the IT industry, and all we can
| really do is stand back and look at it all,
| happy to have been along for the ride for
| developerWorks' first 10 years. The Linux zone
| team has put together this greatly abbreviated
| collection of things that stand out in our
| minds as having rocked the world of Linux in a
| significant way.
|
| Much too much has happened with Linux in the
| last 10 years to do anything like a complete
| job of listing the important events and
| technological advances surrounding this
| operating system. But nevertheless, in
| celebration of our 10th birthday, the Linux
| zone team looks back and presents to you some
| major milestones, why they matter, and what we
| wrote about them. Please to enjoy.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-10th-anniversary/index.html

Next vocation is the desktop.

Recent:

IBM developerWorks looks back on 10 years of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| On the occasion of its tenth anniversary, IBM's
| developerWorks site for software developers and
| IT professionals has compiled a list of the top
| ten developments in the Linux world. The list
| leaves out several things that Linux
| enthusiasts might be inclined to include: no
| Debian, no KDE or GNOME, no Android, Moblin or
| other embedded system, no exciting advancements
| in the Linux kernel â IBM's perspective on
| Linux is a little different.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/IBM-developerWorks-looks-back-on-10-years-of-Linux-889818.html

MontaVista Develops Software for Dell's Latitude ON

,----[ Quote ]
| MontaVista Software, a company that offers
| open source software solutions for the
| embedded Linux systems market, reportedly
| announced that the company developed a
| software stack for Latitude ON â Dellâs (News
| - Alert) instant, always on connection to e-
| mail, Web, contacts and calendar.
`----

http://unified-communications.tmcnet.com/topics/mobility/articles/69444-montavista-develops-software-dells-latitude.htm

Related:

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

Linux loyalty runs high among embedded software developers, says VDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
| project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
| distributions by a sizable margin.
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

Microsoft cans key conference