[News] Stricter Police State in the UK - Reminder of Need for Free(dom) Software

  • Subject: [News] Stricter Police State in the UK - Reminder of Need for Free(dom) Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:12:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Names of innocent people will stay on police database

,----[ Quote ]
| The names of nearly a million people who
| have not been convicted or cautioned for any
| crime will continue to be stored on the
| police national computer, even though the
| government is changing the law so that their
| DNA profiles are deleted.
|
| The revelation has provoked outrage among
| human rights groups who warn that it could
| affect the job prospects of the innocent.
| They fear that whenever an employer carries
| out an "enhanced criminal records" check on
| a potential employee, the system would flag
| up the fact that the person had been
| arrested.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/dec/20/dna-police-database-rights

UK e-Borders scheme thrown into confusion by EU rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Conflicts with EU free movement rules have
| thrown the UK's Â1.2 billion electronic
| borders program into disarray.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/18/e_borders_confusion/

Recent:

Patriot Act Renewal Moving Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Renewal of two controversial Patriot Act
| provisions set to expire at the end of the
| year have been approved by House and Senate
| Committees over the past month, and appear
| headed for floor votes in both bodies.
| President Obama has endorsed extending the
| provisions.
|
| The two provisions include the ârecordsâ
| rule and the âroving wiretapsâ provision.
| The so-called ârecordsâ rule grants federal
| officials with a court order the power to
| force private parties such as businesses,
| hospitals, and libraries to hand over "any
| tangible thing" they believe has "relevance"
| to a terrorist investigation.
|
| âRoving wiretapsâ allow wiretapping multiple
| lines of communication without informing
| FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act)
| courts which specific phone lines or
| communication media are being targeted.
`----

http://www.jbs.org/jbs-news-feed/5705-patriot-act-renewal-moving-forward