[News] Google Releases Free Software, Continues Toppling Abusive Monopolist

  • Subject: [News] Google Releases Free Software, Continues Toppling Abusive Monopolist
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:14:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google Releases EtherPad as Open Source to Calm Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has released the source code of
| EtherPad, a Web-hosted word processor designed
| for real-time workgroup collaboration, in a
| move aimed at appeasing users of the product
| who complained about plans to discontinue it.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/185088/google_releases_etherpad_as_open_source_to_calm_users.html

Google To Acquire DocVerse; Office War Heats Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, which is currently on one heck of a
| spending spree, is closing an acquisition of
| San Francisco based DocVerse, a service that
| lets users collaborate around Microsoft
| Office documents, weâve heard from a source
| with knowledge of the deal. The purchase
| price is supposed to be around $25 million.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/19/google-to-acquire-docverse-office-war-heats-up/

Googleâs synchronicity

,----[ Quote ]
| On the latest This Week in Google, we talked
| about many of Googleâs product announcements
| and enhancements and though none on its own was
| earthshattering, as we added them up, I started
| to see synchronicity approaching â all the
| moreso last night when TechCrunch reported that
| Googleâs negotiating to buy Yelp.
|
| I see a strategy emerging that has Google
| profoundly improve search by better
| anticipating our intent and then moving past
| search to build hegemony in local and mobile
| (which will come to mean the same thing).
`----

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2009/12/18/googles-synchronicity/

Recent:

Students reject GroupWise for Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly 30,000 students at the University of Portsmouth have rejected the
| university's internal e-mail system in favour of Google Apps to communicate
| and collaborate with friends and tutors and stay in touch with friends and
| staff.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2009/09/03/237544/students-reject-groupwise-for-google-apps.htm

Zoho Launches Sign-In Integration With Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/26/AR2009082600877.html