Re: [News] Another Review of Linux Mint 8 (Helena)

____/ Terry Porter on Wednesday 23 Dec 2009 10:31 : \____

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:22:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ Terry Porter on Wednesday 23 Dec 2009 06:57 : \____

>>> New backgrounds easily obtained when 'change desktop backgroun'
>>> clicked, and then get new wallpapers from the Internet. This opens up
>>> thumbnails in your browser for selection.

>>> Mint8 is pretty decent, has all the codecs, and adobe-flash is in the
>>> std repos.
>>>
>>> I've just replaced Ubuntu 9.10 with Mint 8 on this machine and
>>> everything seems to be working.
>>
>> According to trolls, moving from one distro to another means *totally*
>> changing *everything* and your PC will stop working.
>
> I just don't have a suitable mind numbing word to describe my opinion of
> the trolls here. Their ignorance about all things Linux is unbridled.

Yes, it's best not to pay attention to their rants/ramblings.

In short, there is only one Linux (kernel.org) and if it works with the PC,
then it just works.

>> I've personally had no problem with any distro and all my hardware
>> always works out of the box.
>
> The old Ubuntu 9.10 install had a separate /home, /boot and root
> partition, so I just told the Mint8 installer to re use /boot and root,
> and format them, and reuse /home, but not to reformat.
>
> Install took about 30 minutes, with the only input from me being my
> hostname, username/password, click on the world map for my timezone
> and the above partitioning selection.
>
> The rest was automatic and everything worked on reboot. All my /home
> stuff is there, all the configs are there.
>
> All I had to do was install the usual suspects such as Sylpheed,
> FwBuilder, Glade etc.
>
> Too easy.

In Windows you would have to do them one by one, maybe with reboots in between.
You would also need to download them separately and risk malware downloads.

> The same method would have worked fine with Fedora or any other Linux
> distro.

Of course. :-)

I can't seem to find a distro that /doesn't/ work for me, but
maybe I just don't buy Linux-hostile hardware.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

The steady state of disks is full. - Ken Thompson
roy      pts/0        :0               Wed Dec 23 09:01   still logged in