[News] CAD Application Company: GNU/Linux Users Often Outnumber Windows; More Apps News

  • Subject: [News] CAD Application Company: GNU/Linux Users Often Outnumber Windows; More Apps News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:24:12 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FREE CAD for Christmas: MEDUSA4 Personal for Windows and Linux Now Online

,----[ Quote ]
| MEDUSA4 Personal is used in 109 countries
| for private projects, such as model
| engineering. Linux users outnumber Windows
| users in about half of those countries.
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/free-cad-for-christmas-medusa4-personal-r1643214.htm

12 Days of Xmas: Day Six - Shotwell (Plus a peek at Shotwell 0.4!)

,----[ Quote ]
| I reviewed Shotwell 0.3 a month or so back
| (see here) and i found myself pleasantly
| surprised by its feature set, performance
| over-head and plain-ol' usefulness. Not
| being particularly enamoured by Ubuntu's
| current default photo organizer, 'F-Spot',
| Shotwell presents itself as an inevitable
| successor in my book.
|
| Whilst there are issues with it from a "mum-
| proof" perspective (Those floating windows
| are annoying and unnecessary - see the new
| gThumb for in-app editing windows done oh-
| so-right!), Shotwell nonetheless bags itself
| a place in my top 12 applications of 2009
| out of sheer potential.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/12-days-of-xmas-day-six-shotwell.html

Hulu Labs Cooks Up Captions Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Hulu has steadily rolled out innovative
| features to its platform from Hulu Labs
| including Hulu Desktop, Linux Support, and
| upgraded publisher tools.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/21/AR2009122101998.html

Blogilo â The Blog Gigolo â KDE 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve recently come across the application
| Blogilo, which I from here on out will
| reference as the Blog Gigolo. Most of my
| blog posts I do in the wordpress backend, in
| a web browser since itâs what I knew.
`----

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/blogilo-the-blog-gigolo-kde-4-4/

The Creators Of VLC Are Going To Release A Video Editor

,----[ Quote ]
| This time it's a different story. The
| creators of the famous cross-platform
| program VLC Media Player are going to
| release a new video editor going by the name
| of VideoLAN Movie Creator (VLMC).
`----

http://www.learningubuntu.com/news/creators-vlc-are-going-release-video-editor

Recent:

Free and Open Source CAD Software for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer-aided design (CAD) is the use of
| computer technology for the design of objects
| whether 2D or 3D, real or virtual. It is
| heavily utilized in many applications,
| including animation, automotive,
| shipbuilding, aerospace industries,
| industrial and architectural design,
| prosthetics, and many others. Because of its
| enormous economic importance, CAD has been a
| major driving force for research in
| computational geometry, computer graphics
| (both hardware and software), and discrete
| differential geometry.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/12/free-and-open-source-cad-software-for.html

CAD Programs for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Often, when I ask why users donât adopt Linux, I am met with the response
| âThere are no CAD (Computer Aided Design) applications. Now I will confess
| that I know next to nothing about CAD, so I thought I would take a moment to
| highlight some of the CAD applications available for the Linux operating
| system, show how they are installed and started, highlight their features,
| and then let those that know CAD well report on how successful (or not) they
| are. Sort of a user-generated showdown if you will.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/09/11/cad-programs-for-linux/

Free powerful CAD software achieves record numbers, big Linux following

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.firmenpresse.de/pressrelease1816.html