[News] [H]omer to Launch Free as in Freedom GNU/Linux Distribution; More New Releases

  • Subject: [News] [H]omer to Launch Free as in Freedom GNU/Linux Distribution; More New Releases
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:26:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Straw That Broke The Penguin's Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm going to create my own distro.
|
| Those who favour "convenience" and "simplicity" over security and Freedom,
| need not apply.
|
| Like nearly every other distro out there,
| mine will be initially based off another. In
| this case, I'm going to start with the
| source RPMS from Fedora 12, rebuilt to be
| i386 compatible, and then it'll slowly
| diverge from there. Ultimately it will use
| Alexandre Oliva's linux-libre, the blob-free
| version of Linux, with the longer-term goal
| of possibly even moving to the GNU Hurd, at
| which point I'll take great pleasure it
| telling Linus "Microsoft hatred is a
| disease" Torvalds where to shove "his"
| kernel, along with those other things he
| endorses, like Tivoization. It'll have a
| strict "No Microsoft" policy, both in terms
| of the actual technology, and the paradigms
| which define the operating system and
| software.
|
| Other features which will be depreciated
| include SELinux and PulseAudio, the bane of
| nearly every Fedora user's existence. These
| technologies are "solutions" to entirely
| fictitious problems, and the former in
| particular is closely related to the same
| issues surrounding the PackageKit scandal.
| If unprivileged users are never given
| elevated privileges in the first place, then
| there simply isn't any need for mandatory
| access controls - standard UNIX security
| methods are sufficient.
`----

http://slated.org/the_straw_that_broke_the_penguins_hat

Softpedia Linux Weekly, Christmas Special

,----[ Quote ]
| for 64-Bit Platforms
| Â Announced Distro: Second Beta of
| SimplyMEPIS 8.5 Brings KDE SC 4.3.4
| Â Announced Distro: Available Now: Tiny Core
| Linux 2.7
| Â Announced Distro: Parted Magic 4.7 Is
| Powered by Linux Kernel 2.6.32.2
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Softpedia-Linux-Weekly-Issue-76-130316.shtml

Recent:

Choosing a Desktop Linux Distro, Part 2: Installation and Support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68454.html?wlc=1256393432