[News] GNU Helps People with Disabilities

Up against odds

,----[ Quote ]
| Mani has not given up his love for art. Now
| that he is computer savvy, he prefers free
| software GNU Image Manipulation Program (GNU),
| to pen and paper. So far he has created 45
| images digitally and has raised Rs 10,000 by
| selling them. Something he could not have done
| if he had to purchase a program like Adobe.
|
| He is now helping other children in his
| community do the same. âI want to study
| science,â he said. âI spend the money earned on
| my school fees because I want to get into
| college. Since I want to give back to the
| institution that helped me, I donate the
| balance to AC3, in case any maintenance or
| repairs are required. I also know the software
| well enough to teach computer skills to local
| children.â
`----

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/42411/up-against-odds.html

SFLC Annual Appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that the annual campaign missives have
| been arriving in shoals the last few weeks; my
| list of organizations to support has been
| growing longer, precisely because so many of us
| are having to do more with less, and need the
| help. With your support, the SFLC can continue
| its long-term mission of providing legal
| services to the hundreds of thousands of
| dedicated people who produce wonderful
| technology just because they want to share.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2009/dec/24/sflc-2009-appeal/

Related:

The Free Standards Group to Standardize New Accessibility Software Interfaces
Donated by IBM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/The_Free_Standards_Group_to_Standardize_New_Accessibility_Software_Interfaces_Donated_by_IBM