[News] How Licensing and Copyright Assignment Fit Together

  • Subject: [News] How Licensing and Copyright Assignment Fit Together
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:38:37 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Coming up with a Copyright Assignment Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is this. Copyright in code
| belongs to the person who wrote that code.
| This creates a difficulty when code is
| contributed by multiple programmers to a free
| software project. If the original coders
| retain the copyright for their contribution,
| the program becomes a kind of patchwork quilt
| of rights.
|
| That's exactly the situation for Linux,
| currently made available under the GNU GPLv2,
| and why it is extremely unlikely that it will
| ever be re-licensed under GNU GPLv3: there
| are simply too many people involved â some of
| whom may be hard to find or even dead â to
| hope that everyone's agreement can be
| obtained to relicense the code.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2708&blogid=14

Could Apache keep Google's regulators at bay?

,----[ Quote ]
| Rosenberg writes that because of Google's open-
| source licensing, "others can use our software
| as a base for their own products if we fail to
| innovate adequately." True. Google is clearly
| betting on its ability to innovate fast, which
| is incidentally also the very thing that makes
| the prospect of seeing its code forked so
| remote.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10420976-16.html

Recent:

Micorsoft uses GPL V3 software to promote windows against Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://dibani.org/index.php?post/2009/05/26/Micorsoft-uses-GPL-V3-software-to-promote-windows-against-Linux