[News] Heaps of Projects Become Free Software and/or Released

  • Subject: [News] Heaps of Projects Become Free Software and/or Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:39:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Songbird 1.4.2 Released, Brings New Look, CD Ripping, and Device Support

,----[ Quote ]
| While Windows users will be very happy to see
| this feature-filled update, Mac and Linux
| users will still find Songbird more pleasant
| to use, especially if migrating from iTunesâ
| 1.4.2 finally allows you to write metadata to
| WMA and AAC files, meaning all those songs
| bought or imported in iTunes can have their
| information edited.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5432567/songbird-142-released-brings-new-look-cd-ripping-and-device-support

Breaking: VistA Open Source PMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dr. Matthew King, Edgeware Technologies and
| Mr. Djien So have collaborated over the last
| 3 years to develop a VistA compatible, high
| quality, multi-featured Practice Management
| System. The PMS will be released with the
| Affero v3 GPL open source license.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1261714822

Tickets Version 2.11 - A Free/Open Source Computer Aided Dispatch Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open ISES (Information Systems for
| Emergency Services) Project is proud to
| announce the latest release of flagship
| software product, Tickets Version 2.11.
| Tickets is a web-based computer aided
| dispatch (CAD) program that leverages the
| power of Google maps to bring a high end open
| source CAD product to the emergency services
| community. Tickets can perform a number of
| functions including phone number look-up,
| driving directions, schedule events, and
| more.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1261362941

Lamson project takes pain out of email

,----[ Quote ]
| This is where the Lamson project comes in.
| It's written by Zed Shaw, author of the
| Mongrel server made famous by Ruby on Rails.
| Lamson's design is model view controller
| (MVC) based, making it very similar to the
| newer web frameworks popular with developers
| these days, such as Ruby on Rails and Django.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/122509-lamson-project-takes-pain-out.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

EtherPad source code is free, now what?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly-acquired startup AppJet
| released the source code to its popular
| EtherPad web editor recently, making good on
| a promise to EtherPad's users who were
| previously faced with a service shutdown
| following the acquisition. The source is
| under the Apache 2.0 license, which is GPL-
| compatible, making the code potentially
| useful to a wide array of free software
| projects. The release has the community
| debating the impact on similar and related
| software, and revisiting the contentious
| question of how free software in general can
| and should transition to the web-hosted
| environment.
`----

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/367879/18d7b2c542444232/

GIMP 2.6.8 released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers fixed many bugs in version
| 2.6.8 which is a new release in the stable
| branch of GIMP.
`----

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/2009-12-23/gimp-2-6-8-released.html

IHTSDO Workbench code made open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The International Health Terminology
| Standards Development Organisation is to
| making source code for the IHTSDO Workbench,
| including tools to develop, maintain, and
| facilitate the use of SNOMED CT, freely
| available.
`----

http://www.ehealtheurope.net/news/5489/ihtsdo_workbench_code_made_open_source

Cygwin 1.7 Released, Two Years In Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides my sabbatical announcement for the
| Phoronix Test Suite's benefit, there is some
| other Windows-Linux news this afternoon. The
| developers behind the Unix/Linux-like
| environment for Microsoft Windows have
| announced the release of version 1.7.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgzOQ

Cygwin 1.7.1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| After more than 18 months of development, the
| Cygwin developers have announced the
| availability of version 1.7.1 of their Linux-
| like environment and command-line interface
| for Windows. The major update includes a
| number of behavioral changes and new
| functionality compared to the last 1.5
| release from June of 2008.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Cygwin-1-7-1-released-892584.html

Firefox 'Fennec' due in days

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla's long-awaited 'Fennec' mobile
| Firefox build is due in Release Candidate
| form any day now - for Maemo devices, anyway.
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/12/23/firefox-fennec-due-in-days/1

MusE 1.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| sequencer with recording and editing
| capabilities written originally by Werner
| Schweer now developed and maintained by the
| MusE development team. MusE aims to be a
| complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux,
| it is published under the GNU General Public
| License. MusE has among other things support
| for...
`----

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/12/23/muse-10-released/

GnuPG 2.0.14 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) is GNU's tool
| for secure communication and data storage. It
| can be used to encrypt data, create digital
| signatures, help authenticating using Secure
| Shell and to provide a framework for public
| key cryptography.
`----

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8653

Recent:

Firefox for mobile 'days away' from launch

,----[ Quote ]