[News] Many New Examples of Open Knowledge/Data/Access

  • Subject: [News] Many New Examples of Open Knowledge/Data/Access
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:40:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Modeling a Paradigm Shift: From Producer Innovation to User and Open Collaborative Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| In this paper we assess the economic
| viability of innovation by producers relative
| to two increasingly important alternative
| models: innovations by single user
| individuals or firms, and open collaborative
| innovation projects. We analyze the design
| costs and architectures and communication
| costs associated with each model. We conclude
| that innovation by individual users and also
| open collaborative innovation increasingly
| compete with - and may displace â producer
| innovation in many parts of the economy. We
| argue that a transition from producer
| innovation to open single user and open
| collaborative innovation is desirable in
| terms of social welfare, and so worthy of
| support by policymakers.

The Shuttleworth Foundation on CC BY as default and commercial enterprises in education

,----[ Quote ]
| The conversation below is more or less
| transcribed and edited for clarity. It makes
| for great holiday or airplane reading, and if
| youâre pressed for time, you can skip to the
| topics or projects that interest you. This is
| CC Learnâs last Inside OER feature of 2009âso
| enjoy, and happy whatever-it-is-that-you-are-
| doing-in-your-part-of-the-world!

The landscape

,----[ Quote ]
| For textual information, Wikipedia has done a
| tremendous job of creating a vibrant public
| commons. The Creative Commons license
| prevents others from ripping off what
| Wikipedia has seeded. In the software world,
| the Free Software Foundation and others have
| had similar success in creating a public
| commons for source code through the use of
| the GPL and similar licenses. What is missing
| today though is a public commons for data.
`----

http://freetable.org/

The Definitive Userâs Guide to OCWConsortium.org

,----[ Quote ]
| College is becoming more expensive, and some
| colleges this year have set records with
| their lowest admissions percentage rates in
| history. If you cannot afford college and
| your SAT scores are average, you can attend a
| larger college where the cost is lower and
| admission rates are higher. And, you can
| supplement your education with free courses
| offered through colleges that are associated
| with the OCW (Open Courseware) Consortium.
`----

http://collegestats.org/articles/2009/12/the-definitive-users-guide-to-ocwconsortium-org/

Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter No. 13

http://blog.okfn.org/2009/12/23/open-knowledge-foundation-newsletter-no-13/

Margot WallstrÃm on transparency and openness

,----[ Quote ]
| Commissioner WallstrÃm  does not provide an
| amended Commission proposal for the Cashman
| report, although the Lisbon treaty makes the
| older Commission proposal for a EC/1049/2001
| reform obsolete. She makes some encouraging
| points on the criticial reform aspects...
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/margot-wallstrom-on-transparency-and-openness/

UK government considers open source Ordnance Survey data

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has released a 91-page
| consultation paper on how UK citizens could
| get more access to Ordnance Survey mapping
| data from next year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/24/ordnance_survey_data_consultation/

DIY Projects Galore! MAKE Sends Out 2009 Opensource Hardware Guide

,----[ Quote ]
| The guide includes 3D printing, Arduino
| projects, clocks and watches, development
| tools, robotics, transportation and so many
| more yummy projects for DIYers. Exit the
| consumer lifestyle and enter the more
| sustainable - and more fun - hacker/modifier
| lifestyle and find your next green project
| from this opensource guide.
`----

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/diy-projects-galore-make-sends-out-2009-opensource-hardware-guide.php

Recent:

White House Wants Input On Public Access Rules For Federally Funded Research

,----[ Quote ]
| The Office of Science & Technology Policy
| remains one of the few White House operations
| that seems to actually have a good grasp on the
| internet and what it means for various other
| aspects of governance. That's why it's good to
| see them asking for input into what the
| administration should do in terms of requiring
| public access for federally funded research
| (thanks to Lee for sending this over). There's
| been a big debate over this for years.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091211/1540517317.shtml

Open-source software opens business doors for web-development companies

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of Vancouver has launched a program in
| which much of its data is accessible to everyone.
| Itâs also replacing many of its applications with
| ones powered by OSS.
|
| Appnovation initially worked solely with Drupal,
| one of the most widely used OSS platforms â
| particularly among media companies and non-profit
| groups.
`----

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2050&Itemid=30

Obama Team Challenges Web Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Having rebuilt Whitehouse.gov on the open
| source Drupal platform, President Obama's
| new media team is calling on the open
| source community for new ideas and
| technology.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/info-management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900361

Should the White House Contribute to the Open Source Community?

,----[ Quote ]
| While this measure may not be an immediate
| cost-saver (5 different companies are
| involved in re-building and maintaining the
| White House web site), long-term costs
| should fall as government agencies are able
| to borrow from the greater Drupal community
| while incrementally improving on the
| websites code. But the question remains,
| will the Obama White House share some of the
| contributions itâs making to open source?
`----

http://appfrica.net/blog/2009/10/28/should-the-white-house-contribute-to-the-open-source-community/

Whitehouse.gov could be a springboard for Open Source for America

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many of you, I awoke Monday to read
| that whitehouse.gov was now running on open
| source products, including Drupal, Red Hat
| Linux, Apache web server, MySQL, and Apache
| Solr.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whitehousegov-could-be-springboard-open-source-america-726

White House web site goes open source