[News] Broadcast Monopolies Abuse Power, Ofcom Offer Free Spectrum

  • Subject: [News] Broadcast Monopolies Abuse Power, Ofcom Offer Free Spectrum
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 01:00:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Satellite TV to FCC: we're special, don't make us open up

,----[ Quote ]
| DirecTV says that the new FCC push to bust
| open video should only apply to cable;
| satellite is plenty competitive already.
| Also, a tale of woe from a Comcast subscriber
| illustrates just why some common video
| decryption standards are needed.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/satellite-tv-to-fcc-were-special-dont-make-us-open-up.ars

Verizon Wireless Phantom $1.99 Data Usage Fee

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cleveland Plain Dealer has been doing an
| excellent job this week highlighting a $1.99
| "data usage fee" Verizon's been imposing on
| wireless customers who, well, aren't using
| any data.
`----

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104172

Verizon Responds to Consumer Complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, I wrote about two
| particularly nasty Verizon Wireless
| practices. First, Verizon doubled the early-
| cancellation fee for smartphones, the price
| you pay for canceling before your two-year
| contract is up (itâs now $350).
`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/verizon-responds-to-consumer-complaints/

Ofcom sets 60GHz free

,----[ Quote ]
| UK regulator Ofcom has announced it will make
| 6.8GHz of spectrum - from 57GHz up - licence
| exempt for fixed-wireless links, unless
| you're too near the MoD.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/22/60ghz/

Recent:

White spaces vote gets FCC approval

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to release
| unused broadcast TV spectrum for unlicensed use, giving technology leaders
| Google, Microsoft and others a victory in their bid to create a
| next-generation version of Wi-Fi.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=32304

FCC on Comcast: Bravo!

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Press (and others) alleged that Comcast was blocking the BitTorrent
| application. We've known for sometime the result in this case (because of the
| weird practice of the FCC to release the results of an order without
| necessarily releasing the order). But at the crack of dawn (California time)
| today, the Commission released its 34 page order.
|
| It is fantastically well done. So much so that I felt compelled (in that
| weird lawyer like way) to blather my own 5 pages of thanks in a letter to the
| Commission that will be mailed today.
`----

http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/fcc_on_comcast_bravo.html

Related:

Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
| hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
| out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees.
`----

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20080228_Comcast_admits_paying_attendees_at_FCC_hearing.html

Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/27/comcast-stacked-net-neutrality

Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/ap_on_hi_te/internet_regulation