[News] 'Education' Falls Prey to Corporations' Agenda (and Gates Buys Education Systems)

  • Subject: [News] 'Education' Falls Prey to Corporations' Agenda (and Gates Buys Education Systems)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:15:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Computer Science Education: Itâs Not Shop Class

,----[ Quote ]
| Professional organizations and major
| technology companies, including Google,
| Microsoft and Intel support the broad agenda,
| though companies are not getting into
| curriculum details.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/computer-science-education-its-not-shop-class/

Recent:

Gates in charge of education?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since when was this country's educational system run by Bill
| Gates and his foundation? When exactly did he and those he's
| hired become the top educational experts in the country?
|
| As far as I can tell this (like much else) has to do with who
| has enough money to boss other people around. There are
| supposed to be other values in a democracy.
|
| And the irony of the man who was sued by the federal
| government for a monopoly now endorsing competition in public
| education hasn't escaped me, either.
`----

http://who-cester.blogspot.com/2009/12/gates-in-charge-of-education.html

Gates Foundation cash wields influence

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gates Foundation is offering up to
| $250,000 apiece to states that want to apply
| for $5 billion in federal grants to help
| reform our nation's school systems.
|
| [...]
|
| The Associated Press story noted that there is
| a joke going around that says the real
| secretary of education is Bill Gates. To us,
| that's no joke.
`----

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20091028/OPINION/910280304/Gates-Foundation-cash-wields-influence

Editorial: School reform the Gates way

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gates approach may be radical, but in
| Memphis and beyond the circumstances call for
| a non-traditional approach and as much
| innovation as the system can muster.
`----

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/27/editorial-school-reform-the-gates-way/

Microsoftâs Andrea Taylor Named University Trustee

,----[ Quote ]
| Her parents attended BU. So did two uncles,
| her sister, and her former husband. Her
| motherâs papers are archived at the Howard
| Gotlieb Archival Research Center. Now Andrea
| Taylor, director of North America Community
| Affairs for Microsoft Corporation and a
| delegate to four UN summits, is joining the
| Universityâs Board of Trustees.
`----

http://www.bu.edu/today/2009/10/23/microsoft-s-andrea-taylor-named-university-trustee

A conversation with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon

,----[ Quote ]
| Today he met with many groups in Seattle,
| starting with a breakfast meeting at the
| home of Bill and Melinda Gates, followed by
| a talk to the World Affairs Council on the
| U.N. in the 21st century and a lunch
| sponsored by the Greater Seattle Chamber of
| Commerce to address businesses about climate
| change and environmental stewardship. Ban
| also gave the Political Science Department's
| 2009 Severyns-Ravenholt Lecture at the
| University of Washington, where he received
| an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws at a
| ceremony in Meany Hall.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thebusinessofgiving/2010141457_on_saturday_they_tried_somethi.html?syndication=rss

Related:

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Gates Foundationâs Influence Criticized

,----[ Quote ]
| The chief of malaria for the World Health Organization has complained that
| the growing dominance of malaria research by the Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation risks stifling a diversity of views among scientists and wiping
| out the world health agencyâs policy-making function.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/science/16malaria.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq0IdULfjg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlnqnMHQ1c