[News] GNU/Linux Gets a Boost from Chinese Microchips

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Gets a Boost from Chinese Microchips
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:22:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What Took Wired So Loongson?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been writing about the Loongson chip for
| three years now. As I've noted several times,
| this chip is important because (a) it's a home-
| grown Chinese chip (albeit based on one from
| MIPS) and (b) Windows doesn't run on it, but
| GNU/Linux does.
|
| [...]
|
| Because GNU/Linux distros have already been
| ported to the Loongson chip, neither Java nor
| OpenOffice.org needs "adapting" so much as
| recompiling - hardly a challenging task. As for
| "releasing it all under a free software
| license", they had no choice.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-took-wired-so-loongson.html

What To Expect in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The coming year should be a good one for free
| software. Desktop environments are maturing,
| technology is improving. A lot of the ground
| work done in many areas over the past twelve
| months should propel free software further.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7657/1.html

Recent:

Entering dragon landâthe Loongson laptop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://cinnamonpirate.com/2009/01/entering-dragon-landthe-loongson-laptop/