[News] Linux Kernel Space Benchmark: 32 Bit Versus 64 Bit

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Space Benchmark: 32 Bit Versus 64 Bit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:23:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| For this comparison we used Ubuntu 9.10 on a
| Lenovo ThinkPad T61 notebook running an Intel
| Core 2 Duo T9300 processor, 4GB of system
| memory, a 100GB Hitachi HTS7220 SATA HDD, and a
| NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M. We were using the
| Ubuntu-supplied kernels that are based off the
| Linux 2.6.31 kernel in Ubuntu Karmic. Other
| packages that were maintained included GNOME
| 2.28.1, X Server 1.6.4, NVIDIA 195.22 display
| driver, GCC 4.4.1, and we were using the
| default EXT4 file-system with all other
| defaults. With Ubuntu to properly address 4GB
| or greater of system memory you need to use a
| PAE kernel as the Physical Address Extension
| support through the kernel's high-mem
| configuration options are not enabled in the
| default 32-bit kernels.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1

Recent:

FEDORA 12 REVIEW

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of fedora 12 ,we decided to
| give it a try with a 64 bit live cd on a
| Toshiba machine.There is no good difference in
| appearance with the older editions of fedora
| ,just some changes in Nautilus icons.What to
| say,they offer a clear and clean appearance.
`----

http://reviewglitz.com/2009/12/fedora-12-review/

Chrome OS goes 64bit; adds a hypervisor

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Features/Chrome-OS-goes-64bit-adds-a-hypervisor_3797.html

Bluewhite64 Linux 13.0 LiveDVD is released!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bluewhite64.com/print.php?news.40