[News] Viacom Employees May Have 'Planted' Evidence to Shut Down Web Video

  • Subject: [News] Viacom Employees May Have 'Planted' Evidence to Shut Down Web Video
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:52:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google Lawyer Claims Viacom Request Undermines Its Charge Of Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| The judge presiding over the Viacom-YouTube
| copyright lawsuit has allowed Viacom to
| withdraw infringement claims for around 250
| clips -- including approximately 100 that
| were uploaded to the site by Viacom
| employees or agents.
`----

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=119827

Among The Clips That Viacom Sued Google Over, About 100 Were Uploaded By Viacom Itself

,----[ Quote ]
| That alone should show how ridiculous Viacom's
| claims are in this lawsuit. There is simply no
| way for Google to know if clips are uploaded
| legitimately or not. Oddly, however, the court
| has now allowed Viacom to withdraw those clips,
| but lawyers like Eric Goldman are questioning
| how this isn't a Rule 11 violation for
| frivolous or improper litigation. But, more
| importantly, it demonstrates that even Viacom
| has no idea which clips are infringing and
| which are authorized. Given that, how can it
| possibly say that it's reasonable for Google
| to know?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091229/1920547542.shtml

Youtube and McDonalds says this is copyright infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Evidently Youtube wants me to take this
| down, because of course a 4 year old dancing
| to a McDonaldâs happy meal song (that was
| included with a happy meal) is too much for
| the copyright holder to handle.
`----

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=6433

Recent:

Viacom's General Counsel Lecture On Copyright Leaves Out Certain Facts

,----[ Quote ]