[News] Old Business Model Around "Premium" Data is Crumbling

  • Subject: [News] Old Business Model Around "Premium" Data is Crumbling
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:51:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Christopher Bryant Works To Gain New Fans By Opening For Himself

,----[ Quote ]
| One of my favorite things about the emerging
| new music industry has been the realization
| that there is no longer a single best way to
| do much of anything anymore. That pioneering
| spirit is leading to wonderful
| experimentation including this great twist
| from indie artist Christopher Bryant.
`----

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2009/12/christopher-bryant-works-to-gain-new-fans-by-opening-for-himself.html

With Ads, Music Downloads Sing a New Tune

,----[ Quote ]
| ON Hulu, the popular Web site that streams
| free television shows and other video, users
| have proved to be perfectly willing to watch
| short commercials, and a new site is betting
| that the same willingness will apply to
| downloading music.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/business/media/30adco.html?_r=1&src=twt&twt=nytimestech

SoundExchange Claims To Open Up, But Somehow Its List Of Unpaid Musicians Has Disappeared

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a big issue. As we've seen over and
| over again, many of these collections
| societies use sampling and counting methods
| that greatly overvalue big stars (who need
| the money less) at the expense of up-and-
| coming artists. It's like the poor get to
| pay the rich.
|
| From there, Wilhelm's letter goes on in
| great detail responding to claims from
| SoundExchange and debunking them one by one.
| SoundExchange claims that they're now going
| to be much more open and respond to these
| types of questions. We'll be interested to
| see what they have to say.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091229/1202367531.shtml

Recent:

Corey Smith Details His Experience In Becoming A Massively Successful Indie Artist

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091208/0152167242.shtml