[News] Mobile Linux Recognised as a Victor in 2009 (by Many Publications)

  • Subject: [News] Mobile Linux Recognised as a Victor in 2009 (by Many Publications)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:17:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| 2009 has been a rather interesting year
| for Linux, and 2010 promises to be even
| better. In 2009 we have seen the explosion
| of Linux in the mobile phone segment:
| Google's Linux-based Android OS
| smartphones have blossomed, Nokia's Maemo
| based N900 made geeks all over the world
| drool, Palm released a new linux-based OS
| for its smartphones, WebOS, even Samsung
| unveiled a new Linux-based OS for its
| mobiles called Bada.The year of the Linux
| Desktop, may yet be far far away, but
| there is no doubt that 2009 was the year
| of the Linux Mobile.
`----

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Features/Linux-in-2010_3877.html

The H Year: 2009's Wins, Fails and Mehs

,----[ Quote ]
| Win - Android's Rise - With
| Chrome/Chromium, Chrome OS and other web
| related open source projects coming out of
| Google, it has been a good year for
| Google's contributions. But the big win in
| 2009 for Google and for open source has
| been the rapid advance of Android as an
| operating system for smart phones and
| other mobile devices. 2008's mediocre
| launch of the Linux-powered phone OS was
| surpassed in 2009 with a wide range of
| devices running the OS, new versions of
| Android and a rapidly growing developer
| community.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/The-H-Year-2009-s-Wins-Fails-and-Mehs-894149.html

Open source predictions for 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux takes over mobile market
|
| This prediction is one of the more certain
| to come true. With more and more powerful
| phone arriving on the market with the
| Android operating system and the netbook
| hardware gaining more power and more
| Linux-based options (Moblin and Chrome OS
| for example), the mobile space seems ripe
| for a Linux takeover in 2010. Of course
| there have been many who would argue that
| netbook sales have declined, it has been
| predicted that netbook sales will top 50
| million by 2012. But to this I would
| suggest that (although I am not a huge
| fan) cloud computing is going to even
| further enhance the Linux netbook sales.
| Because the Linux operating system was
| made to be networked, it is a perfect
| candidate to serve as the operating system
| the cloud will reach out to.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/12/31/open-source-predictions-for-2010/

Three best Linux Technologies of this Decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux on cellphones is fast becoming
| popular and is being adopted by major
| manufacturers line Nokia and HTC. We have
| the revolutionary Nokia N900 running Maemo
| and the HTC Hero running Google Android.
| Both are Linux for smartphones and are
| highly customizable and developer
| friendly.
|
| We hope to see more of these technologies
| in future. These two years of 2008 and
| 2009 have brought remarkable development
| for Linux and we hope to be nearing a
| better and a wider users base.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/opensource/three-best-linux-technologies-of-this-decade.html

The Top 9 Linux Stories in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| 2009 will be looked at as the year that
| Android OS really took off. The first
| Android phone was released in October
| 2008, the G1, wasnât really a big hit. A
| few of the early adopters, including me,
| picked it up. However, in 2009, things
| really boomed. More than a dozen devices
| were announced/released, covering both mid
| and high ends of the smartphone market.
| Most notably, the Motroloa Droid, was
| lauded by many analysts and was put right
| up there with the iPhone. By November
| 23rd, Android accounted for at least 20%
| share of the US smartphone market. Not a
| bad feat in one year.
`----

http://linuxologist.com/general/the-top-9-linux-stories-in-2009/

Recent:

Best Mobile Innovations of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Google unleashed its mobile OS Android in
| full force this year. The open source
| operating system, which runs on a Linux
| kernal, has gone on to power devices such as
| the HTC Hero and the Motorola Droid. The
| beauty of Android is that it is open source,
| meaning its literally a pleasure for
| developers to work with, and isnât tied to
| anyone device in particular - essentially,
| any mobile phone manufacturer can pick it up
| and use it to its full potential.
`----

http://experts.thelink.co.uk/2009/12/21/best-mobile-innovations-of-2009/

2009: A breakthrough year for mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/2009-recap-and-new-showcase-guides/?kc=rss