[News] Open Access Publications Cover CAD, Need Support

  • Subject: [News] Open Access Publications Cover CAD, Need Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 23:34:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TinkerCell: modular CAD tool for synthetic biology

,----[ Quote ]
| An application named TinkerCell has been
| developed in order to serve as a CAD tool
| for synthetic biology. TinkerCell is a
| visual modeling tool that supports a
| hierarchy of biological parts. Each part in
| this hierarchy consists of a set of
| attributes that define the part, such as
| sequence or rate constants. Models that are
| constructed using these parts can be
| analyzed using various third-party C and
| Python programs that are hosted by
| TinkerCell via an extensive C and Python
| application programming interface (API).
`----

http://www.jbioleng.org/content/3/1/19

Who will pay for the arXiv?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last time I mentioned the INSPIRE system as
| an exciting development in high energy
| physics literature databases (no, thatâs not
| an oxymoron). Thereâs another big change
| going on in that field next year, but this
| will be behind-the-scenes. None-the-less,
| itâs raised a lot of questions about the
| ownership and financial support of an
| important resource that is free to anyone in
| the world: the arXiv.
|
| The e-print arXiv (pronounced âarchiveâ) is
| a central repository of research articles in
| physics, mathematics, computer science, and
| quantitative biology. Since its inception in
| 1991 by theoretical physicist Paul Ginsparg,
| it has had a huge impact on the way science
| is done by providing free access to âpre-
| printsâ of research papers.
`----

http://blogs.uslhc.us/?p=3468

Recent:

US Gov Requests Feedback on Open Access â ACM Gets it Wrong (Again)

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, legislation was passed requiring all
| NIH-funded researchers to submit their papers
| to an openly available repository within a
| year of publication.  Even this modest step
| towards full open access was immediately
| attacked by rent-seeking scientific
| publishers.
`----

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/us-gov-requests-feedback-on-open-access-acm-gets-it-wrong-again/