[News] Censorship at Apple Store and Poland

Apple Censors Dalai Lama IPhone Apps in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple appears to have blocked iPhone
| applications related to the Dalai Lama in
| its China App Store, making it the latest
| U.S. technology company to censor its
| services in China.
|
| Those apps, which appear in most countries'
| versions of the App Store, do not currently
| appear in the Chinese version. Another app
| related to Rebiya Kadeer, who like the Dalai
| Lama is an exiled minority leader reviled by
| China's authorities, is unavailable in the
| China App Store as well. The apparent
| censorship comes after carrier China Unicom
| launched iPhone sales two months ago, making
| regulatory approval of the phone's contents
| in the country necessary for the first time.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185604/apple_censors_dalai_lama_iphone_apps_in_china.html

Poland apparently planning to control Internet much more strictly

,----[ Quote ]
| Poland is apparently planning to make its
| control of the Internet drastically
| stricter. heise Online Poland, the Polish
| sister website of The H, reports that the
| government is working on new legislation
| already. The new law would create a registry
| of websites to be blocked and force Internet
| service providers to hand over detailed user
| data to investigators, for instance.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/newsticker/news/item/Poland-apparently-planning-to-control-Internet-much-more-strictly-893825.html

What were the worst offences against liberty, democracy and the rule of law in 2009?

,----[ Quote ]
| For most bloggers and hacks, the end of the
| year is a time to look back at some of the
| best moments from the previous 12 months.
| But I'm a miserable bastard. So instead I
| thought I'd make a list of some of the low
| points for freedom and democracy in the UK
| in 2009. I'm thinking of those things which
| offend against the very notion of a free
| society; the kind people refuse to believe
| until you show them the proof.
`----

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/guy-aitchison/what-were-worst-offences-against-liberty-democracy-and-rule-of-law-in-2009

Recent:

No internet sex please, we're Indian. Web firms observe new law

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/dec/28/sex-internet-india-law