[News] WikiLeaks.org Looks for Grant, ACTA Leaks Lead to Results

  • Subject: [News] WikiLeaks.org Looks for Grant, ACTA Leaks Lead to Results
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 01:52:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WikiLeaks.org applies for $532,000 funding from the Knight Foundation -
for "local news" whistleblower leaks ?

,----[ Quote ]
| WikiLeakS.org has applied for a grant from
| the Knight Foundation a charitable
| foundation financed from the former
| Knight-Ridder US newspaper conglomerate.
|
| Do not confuse this with the recently
| revived 1980's fictional Knight Rider TV
| series featuring a supposedly artificially
| intelligent car, which starred David
| Hasselhoff.
`----

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/ssl/wikileak/2009/12/wikileaksorg-applies-for-600000-funding-from-the-knight-foundation.html

And the draft of the ACTA reply to me in English

,----[ Quote ]
| So here is a Council draft document in
| English to the reply to my secondary
| request for document access related to an
| ACTA criminal provisions document.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/and-the-draft-of-the-acta-reply-to-me-in-english/

ACTA secondary application answered

,----[ Quote ]
| Formally, I could go to Court now or
| invoke the ombudsman.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/acta-secondary-application-answered/

TSA Withdraws Subpoenas Against Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of public outcry against the
| Transportation Security Administration for
| serving civil subpoenas on two bloggers,
| the government agency has canceled the
| legal action and apologized for the
| strong-arm tactics agents used.
|
| Travel writer and photographer Steven
| Frischling, who was served with a subpoena
| by two TSA agents on Tuesday, told Threat
| Level that he received a phone call
| Thursday evening from John Drennan, deputy
| chief counsel for enforcement at TSA,
| telling him the administration was
| withdrawing its subpoena.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/tsa-withdraws-subpoenas/

President Obama, It's Time To Fire the TSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, DHS's Napolitano's response to the
| crotchbomber: "We're looking to make sure
| that this sort of incident cannot recur."
| But the TSA's response to Abdulmutalib's
| attempt makes one thing clear: We must
| stop pretending the TSA is making us
| safer.
|
| Security expert Bruce Schneier nails the
| core incompetency: "For years I've been
| saying 'Only two things have made flying
| safer [since 9/11]: the reinforcement of
| cockpit doors, and the fact that
| passengers know now to resist hijackers.'"
|
| So what has the TSA done in response to
| the attempted attack? They've told
| airlines to make passengers stay in their
| seats during the last hour of flight.
| They've made it verboten for passengers to
| hold anything in their laps, again only
| during the last hour of flight. Perhaps
| most hilariously telling, they've
| forbidden pilots from announcing when a
| plane is flying over certain cities and
| landmarks.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5435675/president-obama-its-time-to-fire-the-tsa

Long arm of law reaches into World of Warcraft

,----[ Quote ]
| The virtual world of online gaming seems
| like the perfect place to hide. There is
| plenty of anonymity, and itâs almost
| impossible for someone to trace activity
| back to its source, right? Wrong.
|
| Two weeks ago, Howard County Sheriffâs
| Department deputy Matt Roberson tracked
| down a wanted fugitive through one of the
| most popular games on the Internet â World
| of Warcraft. And he got his man.
`----

http://kokomoperspective.com/news/local_news/article_15a0a546-f574-11de-ab22-001cc4c03286.html

Recent:

Wikileaks is in trouble.

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite frequent press confusion, Wikileaks
| is nothing to do with Wikimedia at all â
| âwikiâ is a generic term for âmass-editable
| websiteâ and they use MediaWiki, but
| thereâs no connection.
`----

http://davidgerard.co.uk/notes/2009/12/21/wikileaks-is-in-trouble/

UK air traffic control goes after Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/09/wikileaks_legal/