[News] [Rival] Zune Too is Dying, Apparently

Microsoft Zune Eats Apple iPod Dust in Holiday Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, it's really no shocker that Apple's iPod
| touch trounced Microsoft's Zune HD in holiday
| sales. But couldn't the Zune have at least
| done a little better? Amazon's list of
| Bestsellers in Electronics has the iPod touch
| in the second and third spot, (8GB and 32GB
| models), while the Zune HD (32GB) languishes
| at number 89.

Microsoft lets Zune HD Apps fall through the cracks

,----[ Quote ]
| MS needs to pull their collective heads out and
| get to work here or they will surely lose the
| PMP fight and very quickly.

Microsoft Zune HD: No Reason To Live

Microsoft Zune Still Playing Catch-Up

Zune exec bails ahead of player's upcoming HD launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs Zune general marketing manager has quit the firm.

Microsoft's Zune HD Could Be Too Little, Too Late

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be hoping to jump-start lackluster entertainment sales
| through Zune HD, among other things. Revenue from the company's entertainment
| and devices unit, which makes Zune and Xbox, fell by 25% in the company's
| fiscal fourth quarter, ending June 30.

Why Canât Microsoft Develop Software for Zune HD?

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line: Microsoft knows thereâs no real money in Zune software and
| doesnât want to invest its resources (the company has plenty of cash) in
| developing low value software. The problem: mobile developers have no
| incentive to leave the iPhone App Store in order to support the Zune HD, and
| consumers have little reason to buy the Zune HD without any software.

Will the Zune ever arrive in the UK, or will Microsoft kill it first?

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune sales are badly down in the US, and nothing suggests it's going to
| improve any time soon. What's Microsoft trying to prove with it?
| [...]
| So do you expect to see the Zune land in the UK before it's taken out the
| back of the Microsoft campus and shot, along with the Spot data wristwatch,
| the Smart Display and those other "good ideas" that weren't?

What's to become of Microsoft's answer to the iPod?

,----[ Quote ]
| To be sure, the Zune provides a tiny, and apparently deteriorating portion of
| Microsoft's business. Revenue for the non-gaming side of Microsoft's
| Entertainment and Devices unit, which includes the Zune, tumbled 42 percent
| to roughly $211 million for the fourth fiscal quarter ended in June â or
| about 2 percent of the software giant's total, according to regulatory
| filings.

Zune service and Xbox Live offline Tuesday

Time to axe Microsoft's Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| In a season - the Christmas shopping period - when consumer gadgets are
| supposed to fly off retailers' shelves, Microsoft's Zune experienced a
| stunning $100 drop in revenue, a 54 per cent plunge. Even Microsoft was
| surprised.
| But once again, Microsoft has insisted it's not going to kill the Zune and
| remains wedded to the pocket-sized albatross around its neck.

Follow your muse, Microsoft--get out of hardware

Microsoft hit by Zune sales crash

Microsoftâs Zune: $100 Million Sales Drop Plus Layoffs Equals Questions

Microsoft To Exit the Zune Business?

Microsoft Zune Revenue Fall More Than 50% In 2Q

When Will Microsoft Get a Clue?

Yes, It's Time For Microsoft To Kill The Zune (MSFT)

Zune Sales Tumble As Microsoft Tries To Compete With Apple iPod

Zune Sales Tumble As Microsoft Tries To Compete With Apple iPod

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales for the Microsoft Zune MP3 player tumbled by 54 percent during the last
| quarter while the Apple iPod grew more than 3 percent in market share. The
| battle of the multimedia players might have met its final match.
| Microsoft Corp reported last week that sales on its Zune MP3 player tumbled
| by 54 percent during the last quarter. The Zune rival, Apple Inc's iPod, grew
| more than 3 percent in market share and is seen as the dominate music player.
| While the software giant is cutting divisions that don't have improved sales,
| some analysts wonder if Zune is on the way out.

Microsoftâs Zune Slips

,----[ Quote ]
| At its much faster rate of decline, the Zune player looks like itâs headed
| from low to no market share â unless Microsoft jazzes up the product soon.

Microsoft hiding from the Zune?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Seattle Post-Intelligencer spots - or, rather, doesn't spot - the Zune in
| Microsoft's new advertising for that uber-social iPhone "competitor."
| According to Zune marketing director Adam Sohn, this is on purpose: "We're
| trying to funnel people from the software side....You don't have to buy the
| device immediately."

Microsoft (MSFT): Kill The Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zune is another matter. Apple's lead is too large. The Zune is not a
| product which is terribly different from its competition.
| Microsoft can simply say it does not want to take a bath on the Zune while it
| is taking a more intelligent risk with Xbox profitability.
| Kill the Zune. Save some money.

Zune Guy Rant Against Microsoft and Zune no Longer Available

,----[ Quote ]
| We didnât want to post MSZuneFanâs âlast videoâ because of the hard language
| but weâre more than happy to report it now has been removed from YouTube.

Zune Guy calls Microsoft 'liars,' says Zune situation is 'f***ing bulls**t'

,----[ Quote ]
| You've probably heard by now that the infamous Zune Guy ("Microsoft Zune")
| was so disappointed with Microsoft that he's elected to have his ink removed
| in place of something more in line with his shifted priorities. In addition
| to the reconstructive work he's going to have, ZG claims that Microsoft
| actually lied to him about his free trip to the Redmond campus, which (as you
| might imagine) further tarnishes his image of the company. Unfortunately,
| according to reps from Microsoft we spoke with, the trip was never
| confirmed -- only discussed -- and ultimately canceled due to the very
| reasonable fear that it might lead a lot of "hyper-engaged users" to expect a
| trip of their own (though they did hook our man up with a free Zune and some
| related swag).

Zune absent from Microsoft exec's speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune? It appeared on one slide, but Bach never mentioned it.

The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoftâs heritage. How they
| came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
| smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
| own.
| The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
| out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the âme-tooâ
| bandwagon.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2008/05/25/the -beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

Zuneral this Saturday!

,----[ Quote ]
| We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
| Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
| rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
| last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
| players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
| customers.

- From Vista to Zune: Why Microsoft Canât Sell to Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs marketing of Windows Vista and the Zune have failed in large part
| due to the fact that Microsoft has not learned how to effectively sell
| consumer products. Consumers buy Windows and Office, but thatâs because they
| have no choice, not because of the companyâs marketing savvy. Microsoft only
| effectively markets its products to businesses, which represents a very
| different type of sales relationship.

Zune Sales Still In the Toilet

,----[ Quote ]
| Selling a million Zunes across nine months seems particularly conservative
| for a company with Microsoftâs clout, particularly when considering that it
| was selling against the iPod, which got snatched up 40 million times over
| that same period. When Microsoft announced having shipped 1.2 million units
| in early July, Windows Enthusiasts rejoiced that the goal was reached,
| apparently unaware that Microsoftâs definition of âshippingâ means
| transferring product to a retailerâs warehouse.

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of âHeroesâ or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldnât buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
| The japester appears to have used an internal Microsoft website to direct,
| well, just about anyone to this re-reinterpretation of Steve Ballmerâs
| infamous monkeyboy dance. Or is it a re-reinterpetation of Apple's iPod
| advertising campaign? In these mashed-up days, it's hard to tell.

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]