[News] MySQL Database Under Oracle Might be OK

  • Subject: [News] MySQL Database Under Oracle Might be OK
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:08:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How will MySQL fare under Oracle?

,----[ Quote ]
| Out of line unless you think this might be a
| preparatory step in anticipation of the
| Oracle takeover. It could be. And, if thatâs
| the case, is it a bad sign for everyoneâs
| favorite open source database? Iâm not so
| convinced that non-enterprise end-users of
| MySQL (you know the ones - those that use
| MySQL for Drupal, Joomla, and other DB-
| dependent applications) will have any
| worries. Letâs see if we can collectively
| draw that same conclusion.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1160

DRBD and MySQL - Virtualbox Setup

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3856061/article.htm

Recent:

Monty's 'Save MySQL' mudsling gets 15,000 backers

,----[ Quote ]
| A petition to stop Oracle taking over MySQL
| has garnered support from more than 15,000
| people, after Michael âMontyâ Widenius
| launched his last gasp web campaign in
| December.
|
| The MySQL co-creator, who walked away from
| the database just seven months after Sun
| Microsystems bought it in September 2008
| for $1bn, cobbled together a âSave MySQLâ
| website just before Christmas.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/04/mysql_campaign_15000_signatures/

Thousands sign petition against Oracleâs ownership of MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Appeal to European Commission to force
| software giant to divest itself of open
| source database as it acquires Sun
| Microsystems attracts 14,000 signatures
|
| A petition calling on the European
| Commission to block the software giantâs
| proposed acquisition of MySQL â as part of
| its bid to buy Sun Microsystems, which owns
| the company behind the open source database
| â has attracted 14,000 signatures.
`----

http://www.information-age.com/channels/information-management/news/1106511/thousands-sign-petition-protesting-oracles-ownership-of-mysql.thtml

Our Favourite Database Management System, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/01/01/our-favourite-database-management-system-mysql/