[News] GNU/Linux Spreads Through Low-end Desktops

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Spreads Through Low-end Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:32:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

2010: Deluge of ARMed PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| If you can do all you want and be all you
| can be and have the battery last all day
| using ARM and GNU/Linux, is there really
| any need to prop up the monopoly any
| longer? This could be an excellent year,
| again.
|
| I have to wonder at the price of this
| particular gadget, though. How can Lenovo
| justify a premium price for the worldâs
| least expensive processor and OS??? It
| could be the first-to-market price bulge.
| That could make sense, but why did they
| miss the Christmas season? Was the product
| just not ready on time or the deals not
| made?  Perhaps folks who value mobile
| phones will pay a price for this. I know
| some people pay many hundreds of dollars
| for phones that are not this smart. I
| expect later devices will share the upswell
| of ARM and eventually compete by lowering
| prices. Itâs all good.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/01/06/2010-deluge-of-armed-pcs/

Netbook Speculation: Lenovo, Dell, HP and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Lenovo Skylight is looking to do two
| things: Be your constant companion and be
| always on. Lenovo has put their own custom
| version of Linux on it, along with their
| own custom GUI. The experience is built to
| provide seamless shuffling between videos,
| web pages, multimedia, and work space. No
| one has gotten their hands on it yet, but
| after CES 2010, Iâm sure there will be a
| considerable buzz whether this new gadget
| is worthy. Itâs an interesting offering
| from Lenovo, whoâs been trying to
| differentiate themselves from the rest of
| the computer manufacturing masses. If
| successful, it could mean big things for
| their custom OS and their new product. Will
| it be a Lenovo-only distro, or will they
| unleash it on the masses? More on this
| latterâ
|
| Dell is still shipping their Mini 10Vâs
| with Ubuntu Linux, and thatâs good news for
| the Linux world. Since netbook hardware can
| be hit-or-miss with big name Linux distros,
| itâs nice to see Dell officially supporting
| the product. Although the reception to the
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix  has so-so, itâs still
| a move in Linux direction.
|
| The new HP Mini 210 is working on the
| Windows platform still, and aims to provide
| an easy to use experience. But for some
| reason HP has abandoned the Linux model.
| Once upon a time, they had a fancy GUI for
| their Linux distro, but it never went
| anywhere. So now HP is sticking with what
| they know. Will the success of Windows 7
| differentiate themselves?
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/01/06/netbook-speculation-lenovo-dell-hp-and-linux/

Podcast Season 1 Episode 25

,----[ Quote ]
| In this episode: Google releases the Nexus
| One and Mark Shuttleworth has announced
| he's going to relinquish control of
| Canonical. Freescale unveils a Linux touch
| tablet and we ask whether 2010 could
| really, honestly, be the year of Linux on
| the desktop.
`----

http://tuxradar.com/content/podcast-season-1-episode-25

Recent: