[News] Large OEMs Able to Use GNU/Linux to Beat Apple

  • Subject: [News] Large OEMs Able to Use GNU/Linux to Beat Apple
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:33:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dell Has Everything To Beat Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two possibilities, either you
| create a door for yourself, or if you see a
| door, then just open it and walk in. We
| will talk about the door thing later, first
| tell me: what do you use for your
| computing? Did I hear Microsoft Windows?
| GNU/Linux? Some might be using Apple Mac as
| well.
|
| Windows is passe nobody seems to be talking
| about it any more. Except for Microsoft,
| and even they may shy away if you say
| something that sounds similar to 'Vista'.
| Now, the rage is Mac and GNU/Linux.
|
| Apple Mac has increased its share in the
| market post Vista release. The market was
| there and Vista disappointed people.
| Windows 7 is nothing, but Microsoft's re-
| polished Vista promises. GNU/Linux is
| fighting but, it has more yards to cover.
`----

http://katonda.com/blog/452/dell-has-everything-beat-apple

Freescale's Linux smartbook aims to take bite out of Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's long-trailed tablet computer had
| better be good. Semiconductor maker
| Freescale will this week announce the
| outline of a  cheap rival device  it hopes
| will be adopted by computer makers to boost
| its in-house chip technology.
|
| The concept is not something people will be
| able to buy immediately, but will be shown
| in the form of a reference design, a sort
| of blueprint for other companies to adopt
| as they see fit. But it appears to have
| been thought through and there is plenty in
| it to worry Apple as it ponders marketing
| for its own tablet system, rumoured to cost
| as much as $1,000 a pop.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/hardware-networks/news/index.cfm?newsid=18168

Recent:

iPhone suffers as Android buoys Linux cause

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's open mobile OS platform Android is buoying the fortunes of
| Linux-powered smartphones. The news for Apple's iPhone, however, is not so
| good.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-278279.html

How Apple Does Controlled Leaks