[News] GNOME Desktop Gets Big Gift, Collaborates/Concurs with FSF

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Desktop Gets Big Gift, Collaborates/Concurs with FSF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:40:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNOME got an Amazing Christmas Present!

,----[ Quote ]
| Just in time for the holidays, GNOME
| received an awesome surprise!
|
| While many people probably listed computers
| in their letter to Santa, I bet not many of
| them got one like this.
`----

http://www.stormyscorner.com/2010/01/gnome-got-an-amazing-christmas-present.html

GNOME and FSF highlight women in free software

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME's Summer outreach program and FSF's
| LibrePlanet conference highlight women's
| participation in free software
|
| Today, the FSF announced the dates for the
| 2010 LibrePlanet event, a conference for
| the free software community that expresses
| a vision for solidarity amongst developers,
| activists and users who are working towards
| the shared goal of a fully free software
| world--a world without reliance on
| proprietary software.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/women-in-gnome-in-free-software

InformationWeek on RMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Compare this gentlemanâs reflection and
| consideration of RMSâ points with the
| enthusiastic ignorance we saw earlier on
| the very same point.
|
| Examples like this are exactly why I have
| come to the conclusion that the noisy
| people that disagree with RMS (and, by
| extension, the âFree Softwareâ concept)
| fall into one of two camps: ignorant or
| malicious.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/informationweek-on-rms/

5 Fresh Gnome GTK Themes To Start 2010 With A New Look

http://www.online-blogger.net/2010/01/06/5-fresh-gnome-gtk-themes-to-start-2010-with-a-new-look/

Recent:

Corporate Funding FSF vs GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all I donât believe there is anything
| wrong with accepting corporate funding. The
| issue at hand is that corporate funding
| shouldnât dictate or suggest the direction of
| an organization.
|
| The FSF has three tiers of funding each
| receiving the same benefits. The only
| difference is that each tier is represented on
| the Patron List in groups. The first tier is
| $30,000. The Second tier is $25,000 and Under.
| The Third tier is $15,000 and Under. You can
| see who contributes the most as they are listed
| first.
`----

http://www.pwnage.ca/?p=501

Mono claims unequivically refuted

,----[ Quote ]
| GreyGeek on the Kubuntu Forums has written
| up an excellent point by point rebuttal to
| a lot of common Mono claims. There is a
| growing discussion about this hot topic on
| the forums as well (linked below). Are
| Microsoft Astroturfers everywhere? Or is
| this love for Microsoft blind?
`----

http://www.pwnage.ca/?p=460

GNOME and the GNU Project