[News] Why MySQL Databases Can be Sold to Oracle and Stay Strong

  • Subject: [News] Why MySQL Databases Can be Sold to Oracle and Stay Strong
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:01:48 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why I will not sign the MySQL petition

,----[ Quote ]
| If you sell something, you donât own it any
| longer. MySQL is now SUNs business. And if
| SUN decides to sell themselves to Oracle â
| it is their business. If the MySQL founders
| and fanboys donât like this, they simply
| shouldnât have sold MySQL to SUN in the
| first instance.
`----

http://jan.wildeboer.net/2010/01/why-i-will-not-sign-the-mysql-petition/

Monty Widenius wants another billion dollars, should we help him?

,----[ Quote ]
| What does âHelp MySQLâ advocate, in a
| nutshell? It claims that if Oracle were to
| merge with Sun, MySQL customers would be
| trapped in a market that would be pretty
| much controlled and captured by Oracle,
| both through its existing propietary
| databases offerings and the acquisition of
| MySQL. Another issue explained on the web
| site is that the inherent free and open
| source nature of MySQL will not be enough
| to grant effective freedoms to the market
| since Oracle would be the sole copyright
| owner of the code and trademarks.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2010/01/05/monty-widenius-wants-another-billion-dollars-should-we-help-him/

MySQL: decision time is nigh

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Oracle keen on MySQL because of the
| market control? Or is it because Oracle
| sees MySQL as a means to possibly defeat
| Microsoft's ambitions in the database
| market, where its SQL Server product is
| used for similar purposes as MySQL?
|
| The only person I've noticed who mentioned
| this is Eben Moglen , a well-known legal
| figure in free software circles.
|
| But anyone who knows anything about the
| history of the computer industry is aware
| of the intense animosity between Oracle
| supremo Larry Ellison and Microsoft co-
| founder Bill Gates.
|
| At the level at which these men operate,
| money isn't a consideration. Power is,
| rubbing one's competitor's face in the mud
| is, especially when there is past
| animosity. Here is just one example of how
| much Ellison dislikes Microsoft.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30340&Itemid=1090

Recent:

Why MySQL's creator thinks IBM could acquire the database

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/why-mysqls-creator-thinks-ibm-could-acquire-database-185