[News] Copyright Cartel: the Confrontation Continues, Stories Show Need for Reform

  • Subject: [News] Copyright Cartel: the Confrontation Continues, Stories Show Need for Reform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:03:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Copyright â Why it is Important to Me

,----[ Quote ]
| Because of all of the above, I have an
| enormously strong interest in copyright.
| Iâve been reading everything I could get my
| hands on, and based on what Iâve seen, the
| WIPO Internet Treaties, which are
| supposedly about artists rights, are
| instead one of the worst attacks on artists
| ever written.
|
| Ratification of these treaties, will damage
| Canadian artists, will damage Canadian
| culture, and will destroy the very things
| that the treaties purport to support.
|
| The recent Canadian legislation which âdied
| on the order paperâ was a disaster. It too,
| in itâs attempts to enact the flawed WIPO
| Internet treaties, would have damaged
| artists badly.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=66

Is Inline Linking To An Image Copyright Infringement?

,----[ Quote ]
| I thought the post might be one of those
| blog posts that reminds us how frequently
| everyone "technically" infringes on
| copyright incidentally and how this
| demonstrates how screwed up copyright law
| is. But, no, instead, this appears to be a
| serious "warning" claiming that most
| bloggers are risking the potential of
| $150,000 fines by using images they find
| online.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100105/0109067611.shtml

Game Marketer Insists That Every Downloaded Copy Of Modern Warfare 2 Is Stolen By Immoral Thieves

,----[ Quote ]
| Everiss simply hated the fact that Evony --
| the company trying to sue him -- came up
| with a business model that involves exactly
| the sort of thing we like: giving stuff
| away for free, and coming up with more
| advanced reasons to buy. That still doesn't
| excuse the libel claim, but Everiss does
| seem to have a bit of trouble understanding
| basic economics of digital goods. A whole
| bunch of you have sent in his recent rant
| about how many people "stole" Modern
| Warfare 2. It's the sort of thing we had
| thought went out of style years ago, when
| people realized that every download wasn't
| a lost sale, and there were lots of reasons
| that people might download other than a
| lack of "moral fiber."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100105/1723167624.shtml

UFC Set To Beat Up Internet Pirates, RIAA-Style

,----[ Quote ]
| In December 2009, Ultimate Fighting
| Championship CEO Lorenzo Fertitta testified
| at a hearing of the US House Judiciary
| Committee, claiming that the UFC is losing
| millions to online piracy. Now, in an RIAA-
| style escalation, the company says it will
| not only start suing sites, but also
| individual downloaders.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/ufc-set-to-beat-up-internet-pirates-riaa-style-100105/

A Case That Has It All: Kim Kardashian, Twitter, Libel, Cookie Diets... And The New FTC Sponsorship Rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh boy. Here's a fun one. You had to expect
| that there would be more defamation
| lawsuits about Twitter following the first
| one involving Courtney Love, but this one
| is quite impressive, considering of all the
| twists and turns that must be followed. It
| involves some company promoting something
| called "The Cookie Diet" (which appears to
| be exactly what you would think) suing Kim
| Kardashian for libel. If you don't keep up
| with pop culture, Kim Kardashian is one of
| those people famous for being famous. The
| details of the lawsuit, though, are
| somewhat complex, and it's difficult to
| figure out who to side with in this
| trainwreck in progress (and, yes, it seems
| pretty likely that the whole thing is a
| publicity stunt for all involved, but that
| doesn't mean it's not worth covering).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100106/0228487629.shtml

Billboard Model Angelyne Sues "Notorious" Filmmakers For Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Angelyne claims that the biopic, about the
| life of the late hip-hop star Notorious
| B.I.G., featured a 12-second shot of one of
| Angelyne's billboards without her prior
| consent or authorization.
`----

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017431553

Setback For 'Net Lyric Site

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Music Publishers' Association
| said Tuesday that it has won its latest
| copyright infringement battle against the
| operator of an illegal free-lyric Web site.
`----

http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2010/01/setback-for-net-lyric-site.php

I wasnât supposed to take this picture

,----[ Quote ]
| Hereâs the backdrop: Last week I was in
| Toronto for the holidays, visiting family
| and friends, and I decided to take my four-
| year-old son Gabriel and two-year-old son
| Zev to the Art Gallery of Ontario to see
| works by the Group of Seven. Zev was pretty
| entranced by the Lawren Harris paintings â
| thatâs him above, checking out one of
| Harrisâ works. (I didnât note the name of
| that painting; does anyone know?)
|
| [...]
|
| Ah well. My line of logic here is, I admit,
| rather loose and rambling. Jamieâs video-
| game paintings do not actually impinge on
| any copyright from earlier paintings;
| theyâre using the style of a former
| generation of artists, not their specific
| content. Still, the whole thing made me
| think a lot about the way art builds on art
| â and how copyright law can actually get in
| the way of art appreciation.
`----

http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2010/01/i_wasnt_suppose.php

ACTA vs WIPO

,----[ Quote ]
| The strange aspect of ACTA is that we donât
| have public access to the shared documents.
| But is access to the drafts really
| necessary?
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/acta-vs-wipo/