[News] New Linux Phone All Over the News, Looks Impressive

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Phone All Over the News, Looks Impressive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:41:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nexus One teardown: 'nicely put together'

,----[ Quote ]
| The gadget teardown experts at iFixit have
| forked out $530 for a Google Nexus One
| smartphone, taken it to bits and posted
| their thoughts online.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/07/ifixit_nexus_one/

Android devices sweep CES 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Google wasn't the only company announcing
| new Android-based devices this week. At
| this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES)
| in Las Vegas, several handset and mobile
| device manufacturers also announced new
| models and partnerships with mobile
| carriers for their Android devices, ranging
| from various mobile phones and tablets, to
| eBook readers.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Android-devices-sweep-CES-2010-898690.html

Why Nexus One is bad for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Certainly Google is a good open source
| citizen and they contribute back to Linux
| and the broader open source community (so
| I'm not knocking them on that front, cause
| they're awesome there). But nexus one grows
| the Google Android community first and
| foremost and Linux only by association.
| It's not the bold vision of the Linux phone
| world that existed a few years ago, it's a
| Google vision.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/01/why-nexus-one-is-bad-for-linux.html

Is Nexus One "bad" for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Google accomplished something
| I've wanted to see for a very, very long
| time: A Linux-based personal computing
| device getting enormous mainstream
| coverage. Granted, you weren't hearing the
| word "Linux," much in the coverage, but
| it's still a good thing in my book.
`----

http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2010/01/06/is-nexus-one-bad-for-linux/

Android Madness at CES: Fad or Future?

,----[ Quote ]
| The wave of announcements appears to
| validate earlier predictions that the open-
| source Linux-based Android would become a
| major player in the mobile market, although
| market acceptance of the Google-backed OS
| may have taken longer than first expected.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186097/android_madness_at_ces_fad_or_future.html?tk=rss_news

First Look: Motorola Backflip With Motoblur

,----[ Quote ]
| The phone runs on Android 1.5 with
| Motorola's cloud-based Motoblur user
| interface.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186150/first_look_motorola_backflip_with_motoblur.html?tk=rss_news

HP Experiments With Android

,----[ Quote ]
| This machine's presence at the show isn't
| nearly the big deal it might be, for one
| simple reason: HP says it's just
| experimenting with Android. This is a
| concept PC, and there's no news about its
| chances of turning into a shipping product
| you can buy. Still, you gotta figure that
| if HP has gone through the bother of
| building this prototype, there's a real
| chance it'll commercialize it in 2010.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186173/hp_android_netbook.html?tk=rss_news

Turn Your Android Phone Into A Real Star Trek Tricorder

,----[ Quote ]
| This review is of the Star Trek Tricorder
| open source Android project by Moonblink.
| Iâve used the popular Tricorder theme with
| my previous phone, a Windows Mobile device,
| but I never imagined that a day would come
| when I would be able to use an actual
| Tricorder application which could actually
| sense environmental factors like magnetic
| flux, acceleration, sound waves and even
| solar activity. Ladies and gentlemen and
| starship cadets, I would like to present to
| you an application that does just that, not
| only for the Droid, but for any Android
| mobile device with at least most of the
| appropriate sensors.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-your-android-phone-into-a-real-star-trek-tricorder/

Recent:

Android Phones to Challenge iPhone Supremacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Now bitter industry rival SK Telecom is
| looking to generate just as much buzz by
| getting out of the gate early on premium
| phones powered by the Google-backed Android
| operating system.
|
| SK Telecom, the country's biggest mobile
| telephony operator, currently plans to release
| its first Android phone, produced by Motorola,
| sometime around mid-January, industry sources
| said.
`----

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2009/12/123_58177.html

T-Mobile G1 To Get Android OS Upgrade?

,----[ Quote ]
| AndroidSpin, an Android focused news site, has
| reported that the very first Android based
| smartphone, the T-Mobile G1, will be getting
| an over-the-air update.
|
| This will upgrade its software with Android
| 2.0 or possibly Android 2.1, which
| incidentally is the operating system of soon-
| to-launch Nexus One also know as the Google
| Phone.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/12/29/t-mobile-g1-get-android-os-upgrade/

Android is big in the mobile OS game

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCORDING TO STATISTICS from Comscore,
| Google's Android OS has made a quick and big
| impression on US mobile users.
|
| User statistics compiled by the firm show
| that Android has had an impact on Americans
| already and is the second most popular
| platform for accessing social media sites
| and mobile media.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1566683/android-mobile-os-game

Forrester: Google Android Smartphones to Take 10% of Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/511783/Forrester_Google_Android_Smartphones_to_Take_10_of_Market_in_2010?source=rss_news