[News] Avalanche of Linux (Android) Devices Takes Over CES

  • Subject: [News] Avalanche of Linux (Android) Devices Takes Over CES
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:19:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android devices conquer CES

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears Android-equipped devices are
| enjoying a coming out party at this week's
| Consumer Electronics Show. Major hardware
| manufacturers, including Dell, HTC, MIPS
| Technologies and Motorola, have announced
| plans to launch consumer products,
| including smartphones and TV set top boxes,
| which feature the Android mobile operating
| system.
`----

http://features.techworld.com/operating-systems/3209638/android-devices-conquer-ces/?olo=rss

CES 2010: First Android Set-top Boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| We are already aware that Android is likely
| to enter our home as the back-end software
| running our appliances but it would be more
| interesting to see the development of
| Android on MIPS as it would let Android
| drives more âhome entertainmentâ
| appliances.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/01/06/ces-2010-first-android-set-top-boxes/

Motorola's latest Android 'andset demo'd

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/07/ces_video_moto_backflip/

Google open-source boss comes clean on Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Google open source guru Chris DiBona has
| acknowledged that the company's
| freewheeling approach to building a mobile
| operating system can cause a few headaches
| for developers, with unfamiliar versions of
| its Android OS appearing on new phones with
| little warning. But, he says, that's not
| developers' main concern - nor Google's.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/07/dibona_on_android/

Philip K. Dick Estate Sends Google Cease And Desist Over Nexus One Name

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm trying to figure out just what
| "principle" that might be, because there
| doesn't seem to be any legal principle.
| It's hard to argue that there's any moral
| principle either, since "nexus" is a word
| that's been around since well before Philip
| K. Dick used it. In fact, the only matter
| of principle I can think of is the one
| where someone demands money for something
| where they clearly have no right to it and
| have done nothing to deserve it. Like
| demanding a big company pay up because it
| has a product named sorta similar to
| something your dad wrote decades ago.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100106/1854057639.shtml

Leave Virginia Alone: On Open-source and Proprietary Threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Even Googleâs involvement with its own
| open-source Android operating system could
| inhibit free development around it going
| forward. For Google, one of the big
| benefits that all Android phones bring is
| steering users into the companyâs lucrative
| search-and-ad ecosystem. With the release
| of todayâs Nexus One Android-based phone â
| which takes the companyâs commercial stake
| in Android handsets to two (Droid being the
| first) â could Android itself be
| increasingly influenced by Googleâs
| proprietary interests? Just as Microsoft
| leverages Windows for the benefit of its
| own applications, Google could do the same
| with Android. The Open Android Alliance is
| already developing versions of Android
| devoid of Google applications due to these
| types of concerns.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/05/leave-virginia-alone-on-open-source-and-proprietary-threats/

Dell Picks AT&T for Android Smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today announced it has chosen AT&T as
| its exclusive U.S. carrier for its upcoming
| lineup of Android-based smartphones, known
| as the Mini 3. Dell has already chosen
| China Mobile, Vodafone and Claro Brazil as
| partners outside the U.S.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3856961/

OnStar and Chevy Gives Android Users Mobile Control of Volt

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the cooler software announcements to
| already come out of CES 2010 is from Chevy
| and OnStar regarding the upcoming 2011
| Chevy Volt, their all electric vehicle.
| The new Android-based application gives
| Volt owners added control over their
| vehicles with options like monitoring
| charging status, unlocking doors, and more.
| There have been rumors for some time that
| these types of applications would be coming
| but now those rumors have been confirmed
| with their unveiling at CES 2010.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/01/07/onstar-and-chevy-gives-android-users-mobile-control-of-volt/

Related: