[News] Linux-powered Palm Phones to Get Software Through Competition Programme

  • Subject: [News] Linux-powered Palm Phones to Get Software Through Competition Programme
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:54:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Palm opens developer program, adds plug-in support

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of applications available for
| webOS is much smaller than for the iPhone or
| Google's Android OS. To close this gap, Palm
| will also open up its application
| distribution channel to developers and Web
| sites, giving them access to detailed
| information about applications and
| statistics, such as the number of downloads.
| This will allow them to build their own
| application directories and application
| ranking mechanisms, Mitic said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143359/Palm_opens_developer_program_adds_plug_in_support?source=toc

Palm PrÄ lands in France

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm is extending the market range of its
| smartphones to France through a partnership
| with mobile service provider SFR, which will
| begin offering the Palm PrÄ and Pixi to its
| existing 20 million mobile customers - and,
| hopefully, more - in the second quarter of
| this year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/09/sfr_chooses_palm/

Palm fishes for devs with $1m lure

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm has - finally - opened up its
| application development program for webOS to
| one and all. It will also open its app
| database to anyone who wants to build a
| store, extend its SDK's powers with a plug-
| in kit for C and C++ coders, and prime the
| development pump with $1m in incentives.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/09/palm_developer_scheme/

Palm updates devices, opens App Catalog, boosts gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm revealed new versions of its Pre and
| Pixi handsets during its press briefing
| today at CES. The company also expanded its
| development platform and demonstrated new
| features of its webOS software.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/01/palm-updates-devices-opens-app-catalog-boosts-gaming.ars

AT&T Will Add Android, Palm Devices, Boost Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T will offer mobile devices using nearly
| every operating system as it adds more
| Android devices, including Dell's, and Palm
| webOS devices to its smartphone lineup.
| Observers think AT&T is preparing to lose
| its exclusive U.S. contract for Apple,
| Inc.'s iPhone. AT&T also plans to encourage
| development of applications for its devices.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/AT-T-To-Add-Android--Palm-Devices/story.xhtml?story_id=013000Z9VXND

AT&T to begin selling Android and Palm smartphones in the U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T has announced it will soon begin
| selling Android and Palm smartphones in the
| U.S., The company announced it will offer
| five new devices based on Google's open-
| source operating system and two devices that
| use Palm's webOS.
`----

http://finchannel.com/Main_News/Tech/55563_AT&T_to_begin_selling_Android_and_Palm_smartphones_in_the_U.S./

Recent:

Palm jumps to Verizon with two new phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm announced today that it will jump from
| Sprint to Verizon when it releases two new
| phones on January 25.
|
| Speaking to reporters at the Consumer
| Elelctronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada,
| Palm Chairman and chief executive Jon
| Rubinstein said the new phones - the Pre
| Plus and Pixi Plus - "will be available
| exclusively on the Verizon wireless
| network."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/07/palm_movs_to_verizon/

Palm Pre Plus, Pixi Plus Coming to Verizon

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm's CES 2010 press conference didn't
| offer nearly as much fanfare as last year's
| event, where the company unveiled the Palm
| Pre. But Palm did announce new phones, a
| software update, and new partnerships,
| proving that this once-struggling handset
| company is not just a one-trick pony.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186235/palm_pre_plus_pixi_plus_verizon.html?tk=rss_news

Palm Updates the Pre and Pixi for Verizon Wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless will start selling
| improved versions of Palm's Pre and Pixi
| smartphones later this month under an
| exclusive arrangement with the handset
| maker.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186241/palm_updates_the_pre_and_pixi_for_verizon_wireless.html?tk=rss_news

A Closer Look at the Palm Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and WebOS 1.4

,----[ Quote ]
| This morning Palm announced a slew of
| product updates, including two new
| handsets, updates to the webOS platform,
| and a carrier relationship with Verizon.
| This afternoon I got some hands-on time
| with the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus and
| tested the new video capture app.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186307/a_closer_look_at_the_palm_pre_plus_pixi_plus_and_webos_1_point_4.html?tk=rss_news

Palm Pre Plus First Hands-On: Super-Fast, Button Removal Is No Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| It's speedier, thanks to the double RAM
| that's been added, and noticeably easier
| flipping between apps and programs. The
| screen is responsive, but no more
| responsive than it was before. All in all,
| it's the same Pre experience you've had
| before, just faster. Oh, and guess you'll
| have to fork out for a TouchStone now.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5442977/palm-pre-plus-hands+on-super+fast-button-removal-is-no-problem

Pebble, pretty, perfection, Palm...Pre

,----[ Quote ]
| That ânew-nessâ came in the form of a new
| mobile phone and the new operating system
| that ran on it: the Palm Pre, a phone that
| channeled the Zen-like beauty of a smooth
| black pebble; and webOS, the Linux-based OS
| with deep hooks to the modern phenomenon of
| social networking via a technology Palm has
| dubbed Synergy.
`----

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/life/20524-pebble-pretty-perfection-palmpre.html

Emblaze Mobile to Introduce ELSE Linux-Based Mobile OS at CES

,----[ Quote ]
| Emblazed unveiled its Linux OS for mobile
| phones a couple of months ago in London. Now
| it will demo the first ELSE device at CES
| 2010 in Las Vegas. The first ELSE has a 3.5-
| inch touch screen with tactile feedback
| running at 854 x 480 resolution, up to 32
| gigs flash storage, a 5 megapixel camera and
| built-in GPS.
`----

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=35553

Palm's Native webOS App Secrets Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| The discovery of SDL's inclusion in webOS
| 1.3.5 really should have been enough evidence
| for you that something big was brewing, but
| destinal and Rod Whitby's (of WebOS Internals)
| latest discovery is proof positive: webOS
| 1.3.5 also includes a method for launching
| native Linux applications without any of the
| Upstart hackery we reported on yesterday.
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/10016/palms-native-webos-app-secrets-revealed/

webOS DOOM Paving Way For Future SDL Ports

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/10014/webos-doom-paving-way-for-future-sdl-ports/