[News] More Android (Linux) Phones and Supporters Emerge

  • Subject: [News] More Android (Linux) Phones and Supporters Emerge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:55:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android Unleashed

,----[ Quote ]
| Vizzeco (nee Koolu) a company that I work
| for, even invested their resources in
| porting Android to the Openmoko "FreeRunner"
| phone in an attempt to have the best of both
| worlds. Vizzeco wanted Android and the
| "openness" of being able to change Android
| to meet our (and our VAR's) needs while
| maintaining application compatibility.
| Unfortunately while the FreeRunner served as
| a good platform for prototyping mobile phone
| operating systems, there were limitations to
| its manufacturing capacity which limited the
| usefulness to Vizzecos' business.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Android-Unleashed?blogbox

400,000 Motorola Backflip Android phones ordered by AT&T?

,----[ Quote ]
| Although itâs the last major US carrier to
| launch Android phones, AT&T seems to be
| betting heavily on Googleâs open source
| mobile platform.
|
| According to Eldar Murtazin (who is, most of
| the time, right), AT&T has ordered 400,000
| Motorola Backflip handsets, and it might
| even order more â which means that the
| carrier is hoping to sell them like hot
| cakes.
`----

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/01/08/400000-motorola-backflip-android-phones-ordered-by-att/

The Backflip: Motorola's Innovative Android Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| The Backflip will try to surpass or at least
| equal the success of Cliq (Dext) and Droid
| with its own good looks and innovative
| features. The two previously released
| Android smatphones have really revitalized
| Motorola's struggling handset business and
| they hope that Backflip will ride the
| momentum.
|
| [...]
|
| Motorola hasnât announced the price and
| availability of the Backflip just yet. But
| there are reports that it would cost the
| same as Cliq and it will be available to
| consumers this first quarter of 2010.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2010/01/backflip-motorolas-innovative-android.html

Recent:

Android devices conquer CES

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears Android-equipped devices are
| enjoying a coming out party at this week's
| Consumer Electronics Show. Major hardware
| manufacturers, including Dell, HTC, MIPS
| Technologies and Motorola, have announced
| plans to launch consumer products,
| including smartphones and TV set top boxes,
| which feature the Android mobile operating
| system.
`----

http://features.techworld.com/operating-systems/3209638/android-devices-conquer-ces/?olo=rss

CES 2010: First Android Set-top Boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| We are already aware that Android is likely
| to enter our home as the back-end software
| running our appliances but it would be more
| interesting to see the development of
| Android on MIPS as it would let Android
| drives more âhome entertainmentâ
| appliances.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/01/06/ces-2010-first-android-set-top-boxes/

Motorola's latest Android 'andset demo'd

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/07/ces_video_moto_backflip/

Google open-source boss comes clean on Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Google open source guru Chris DiBona has
| acknowledged that the company's
| freewheeling approach to building a mobile
| operating system can cause a few headaches
| for developers, with unfamiliar versions of
| its Android OS appearing on new phones with
| little warning. But, he says, that's not
| developers' main concern - nor Google's.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/07/dibona_on_android/

Philip K. Dick Estate Sends Google Cease And Desist Over Nexus One Name

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm trying to figure out just what
| "principle" that might be, because there
| doesn't seem to be any legal principle.
| It's hard to argue that there's any moral
| principle either, since "nexus" is a word
| that's been around since well before Philip
| K. Dick used it. In fact, the only matter
| of principle I can think of is the one
| where someone demands money for something
| where they clearly have no right to it and
| have done nothing to deserve it. Like
| demanding a big company pay up because it
| has a product named sorta similar to
| something your dad wrote decades ago.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100106/1854057639.shtml

Leave Virginia Alone: On Open-source and Proprietary Threats

,----[ Quote ]
| Even Googleâs involvement with its own
| open-source Android operating system could
| inhibit free development around it going
| forward. For Google, one of the big
| benefits that all Android phones bring is
| steering users into the companyâs lucrative
| search-and-ad ecosystem. With the release
| of todayâs Nexus One Android-based phone â
| which takes the companyâs commercial stake
| in Android handsets to two (Droid being the
| first) â could Android itself be
| increasingly influenced by Googleâs
| proprietary interests? Just as Microsoft
| leverages Windows for the benefit of its
| own applications, Google could do the same
| with Android. The Open Android Alliance is
| already developing versions of Android
| devoid of Google applications due to these
| types of concerns.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/05/leave-virginia-alone-on-open-source-and-proprietary-threats/

Dell Picks AT&T for Android Smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today announced it has chosen AT&T as
| its exclusive U.S. carrier for its upcoming
| lineup of Android-based smartphones, known
| as the Mini 3. Dell has already chosen
| China Mobile, Vodafone and Claro Brazil as
| partners outside the U.S.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3856961/

OnStar and Chevy Gives Android Users Mobile Control of Volt

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the cooler software announcements to
| already come out of CES 2010 is from Chevy
| and OnStar regarding the upcoming 2011
| Chevy Volt, their all electric vehicle.
| The new Android-based application gives
| Volt owners added control over their
| vehicles with options like monitoring
| charging status, unlocking doors, and more.
| There have been rumors for some time that
| these types of applications would be coming
| but now those rumors have been confirmed
| with their unveiling at CES 2010.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/01/07/onstar-and-chevy-gives-android-users-mobile-control-of-volt/

Related: