[News] [Rival] Microsoft Second-Worst Polluter -- Greepeace

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Second-Worst Polluter -- Greepeace
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:46:09 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple has Microsoft beat â as far as Greenpeace is concerned

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenpeace, the well-known environmental
| organization that speaks out against
| nuclear power and climate change, has
| revised its âGuide to Greener Electronics,â
| a ranking of 18 major electronics companies
| based on how eco-friendly they are in their
| practices. While it didnât top the list,
| Apple came out the big winner, jumping 4
| places higher on the list to fifth place â
| thatâs 11 places higher than Microsoft,
| which bottomed out the ranks, beating only
| Nintendo.
`----

http://green.venturebeat.com/2010/01/08/apple-has-microsoft-beat-as-far-as-greenpeace-is-concerned/

Greenpeace: Nintendo, Microsoft Least Green Electronics Makers

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo continues its reign as the least
| environmentally friendly electronics
| manufacturer, according to Greenpeace, but
| Microsoft is approaching that dubious honor
| as well after dropping two places and
| becoming the second-worst in this year's
| "Guide to Greener Electronics."
`----

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26715/Greenpeace_Nintendo_Microsoft_Least_Green_Electronics_Makers.php

Nintendo and Microsoft Ranked Dead Last in Greenpeace Rankings

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6472

Nintendo, Microsoft Last Place on Greenpeace Report

http://uk.gamespy.com/articles/105/1059438p1.html

Recent:

How Green are Their CEOs?

,----[ Quote ]
| That's interesting enough, but what really
| caught my attention was the âleaderboardâ down
| the left-hand side of the petition page. This
| rates the performance of the CEOs of major
| computer companies in terms of what they are
| doing on green issues. IBM's Sam Palmisano is
| in first place with 43 marks out of 100;
| Google's Eric Schmidt is in fourth place with
| 32/100. Microsoft's Steve Ballmer has a rather
| dismal 23/100, but even that's much better
| than the laggards like Sony (10/100) and
| Panasonic (8/100).
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2630

Greenpeace Slams Microsoft, Nintendo

,----[ Quote ]
| Greenpeace gave Microsoft and Nintendo abysmal rankings Tuesday on their
| efforts to phase out toxic chemicals from their game consoles.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iMTouo0ymHoVxuplHfS70u-BJEPQD8T671N80

Related:

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]