[News] Counterfeiting in Indonesia Under Fire, GNU/Linux and Free Software a Solution

  • Subject: [News] Counterfeiting in Indonesia Under Fire, GNU/Linux and Free Software a Solution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:52:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tech Pirates Find Safe Port In Indonesia

,----[ Quote ]
| McGuire agrees that Indonesians can and should
| go completely legal, but does not think that
| simply forcing everyone to pay the
| manufacturersâ full price is a reasonable or
| effective strategy. He said he sees two good
| solutions: local pricing and open-source
| software.
|
| [...]
|
| Open-source software is legally free. There are
| open-source equivalents of just about every
| type, from operating systems such as Linux to
| office software like OpenOffice.
|
| Betti Alisjahbana, chairwoman of the Indonesian
| Association of Open Source, said that the
| migration to open-source software would save
| money, as compared to paying for proprietary
| products, such as Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://thejakartaglobe.com/lifeandtimes/tech-pirates-find-safe-port-in-indonesia/352031

Five useful extensions for Openoffice

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org 3.x is the leading open-source
| open software suite for word processing,
| spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases
| and more.  You can adjust openoffice to your
| needs by adding more functionality with the help
| of extensions. In this article we chosed for you
| some useful extensions for openoffice with
| installation guide.
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/697-great-extensions-for-openoffice

Recent:

Indonesian Government Urged to Move to Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Minister of Communication and Information
| Technology Tifatul Sembiring said open source
| software offered unlimited opportunities for
| local businesses and human resources in the
| information and communications industry.
|
| Delivering the opening address of the Global
| Conference on Open Source on Monday, Tifatul
| said the government must focus on developing
| open source software domestically. He added
| that the use of open source could significant
| reduce government spending on software, without
| providing an exact figure.
`----

http://thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesian-government-urged-to-move-to-open-source-software/337845

Big boys going open-source to cut costs