[News] Oracle Could Take a Lesson in Patching from Linux

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Could Take a Lesson in Patching from Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:17:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle should learn a lesson from Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is a big world wide database company.
| They produce large and complicated ERP
| systems whose size, just for the
| applications side, number in the range of
| sixty plus gigabytes. Naturally a software
| solution of such a large scale needs to be
| maintained and patched every now and then.
| Heck, any software project, no matter what
| size, needs the same thing.
|
| [...]
|
| What Oracle should do is standardise it's
| patching procedures so it is the same
| procedure no matter what patch, be it one
| off or cumulative update, needs to be
| installed. Then they need to have a package
| manager developed which will download and
| install those patches from a specified
| repository. I believe that the type of
| package management used by Linux will scale
| up to Oracle's size quite well and work for
| all supported operating systems in applying
| and maintaining patches.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/oracle-should-learn-a-lesson-from-linux-36371

Oracle Patches Two Dozen Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is now out with its first quarterly
| critical patch update (CPU) of 2010, fixing
| 24 flaws spread across Oracle's product
| portfolio. Affected products include
| Oracle's namesake database server as well as
| the Oracle Application Server, E-Business
| Suite, Secure Backup, PeopleSoft Enterprise
| and WebLogic Servers.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.phpr/3858341/article.htm

Proprietary software is too monolithic.

Recent:

Oracle commits: MySQL will have a future

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to appease European regulators, Oracle
| has made a number of commitments to the future
| of MySQL.
|
| According to a statement overnight (Australian
| time), Oracle has made a number of public
| commitments regarding MySQL in order to ease
| the concerns of European Union regulators
| investigating the proposed Oracle â Sun merger.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30052&Itemid=53

Oracle customers and MySQL users speak out

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Oracle-customers-and-MySQL-users-speak-out-884416.html