[News] A Look at Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 Alpha 2

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04 Alpha 2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:27:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 10.04 alpha 2 brings Pitivi, panel changes

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu development community announced
| today the availability of Ubuntu 10.04 alpha
| 2, a new prerelease of the next major version
| of the Ubuntu Linux distribution. This alpha
| is the first Ubuntu release to completely omit
| HAL, a Linux hardware abstraction layer that
| is being deprecated in favor of DeviceKit.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/01/ubuntu-1004-alpha-2-brings-pitivi-panel-changes.ars

Recent:

Canonical releases Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Alpha 2

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu developers have announced the
| availability of the second alpha release of
| Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, code named "Lucid Lynx".
| The latest development milestone is the
| second of three planned alpha releases,
| which will be followed by two beta releases
| and then a release candidate.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-releases-Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-Alpha-2-905001.html

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Alpha 2 Has Plymouth

,----[ Quote ]
| A few minutes ago, the Ubuntu development
| team unleashed the second alpha version of
| the upcoming Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
| operating system, due for release in late
| April this year. As usual, we've downloaded
| a copy of it in order to keep you up-to-
| date with the latest changes in the Ubuntu
| 10.04 LTS development.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-Alpha-2-Has-Better-Support-for-Nvidia-132086.shtml

Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 Removes HAL

,----[ Quote ]
| "HAL" unfortunately isn't the heinous
| supercomputer from Kubrick's film 2001, but
| Ubuntu's Hardware Abstraction Layer between
| Ubuntu's hardware and software. It has now
| disappeared entirely from the current
| Ubuntu 10.04 test version, it's function
| being taken over among other things by
| DeviceKit. The advantage to this, according
| to the official announcement, is that
| Ubuntu has a faster boot and startup from
| hibernate time.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Ubuntu-10.04-Alpha-2-Removes-HAL

Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 Benchmarks With Early Fedora 13 Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, there are both good and bad
| performance improvements for Ubuntu 10.04
| LTS Alpha 2 in relation to Ubuntu 9.10.
| Most of the negative regressions are
| attributed to the EXT4 file-system losing
| some of its performance charm. With using a
| pre-alpha snapshot of Fedora 13 and the
| benchmark results just being provided for
| reference purposes, we will hold off on
| looking into greater detail at this next
| Red Hat Linux update until it matures. You
| can run your own tests though if you wish
| using our open-source Phoronix Test Suite
| benchmarking platform.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_lucid_alpha2&num=1

What's Coming In Lucid Alpha 2?