[News] Ubuntu May Open Up to More Non-Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu May Open Up to More Non-Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:38:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Canonical To Bring Closed Source Apps Like iTunes And Photoshop To Ubuntu?!?!

,----[ Quote ]
| Among these applications one can find:
| Spotify, Pandora, Hulu, Skype, WoW, Picasa,
| Adobe Photoshop, Apple iTunes and more.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/canonical-to-bring-closed-source-apps.html

Photoshop, iTunes and Evernote to appear on Ubuntu?

http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/photoshop-itunes-and-evernote-to-appear-on-ubuntu.html

My open-source destiny: less hobbyist, more regular user, with
stability the goal (and Debian Lenny the means of reaching it)

,----[ Quote ]
| I took that as a sign to return to the OS
| I've used on more machines and probably for
| more time than any other: Debian GNU/Linux
| (Debian uses the GNU, so I will too, for
| the moment anyway).
|
| I started running Debian Etch soon after it
| went stable in April 2007, and in December
| 2009, I again returned to the Stable branch
| of Debian, now Lenny (yes, every Debian
| release is named after a "Toy Story"
| character)
`----

http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/01/my-open-source-destiny-less-ho.html

Ubuntu Women Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu-Women project "is a team
| functioning under Ubuntu to provide a
| platform and encouragement for women to
| contribute to Ubuntu-Linux" Women are
| generally under-represented in Free/Open
| Source software and this project seeks to
| get more women involved in free software in
| general and in Ubuntu in particular.
|
| The project was founded in 2006, according to the project
| wiki and it is currently quite active. There is a mailing
| list, an IRC channel (#ubuntu-women at irc.freenode.net), a
| forum and even its own planet.
`----

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/369664/7b7970b1cbb3e907/

Recent:

Two GNOME Contractors Required

,----[ Quote ]
| We are currently looking for two contractors
| to come and work at Canonical to write some
| upstream code to help GNOME applications fit
| into the full Ubuntu desktop experience. This
| is an awesome opportunity for talented GNOME
| developers and a a great way to dip your feet
| into the Ubuntu development team.
`----

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distroblogs/276219:two-gnome-contractors-required

Ubuntu User Day Team Announces Event for New Penguinistas

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/ubuntu-user-day-team-announces-event-for-new-penguinistas