[News] Free Software Grows in Healthcare

Ontario Hospital Association and Open Source Order Sets Partner to Improve Patient Safety and Quality in Ontario Hospitals

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ontario Hospital Association (OHA) and
| Open Source Order Sets (OSOS) are pleased
| to announce a new partnership that could
| help improve patient safety and quality in
| health care for Ontarians.
`----

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2010/13/c8179.html

Misys Open Source Solutions (âMOSSâ) Demonstrates Leadership -- Successfully Tests the Worldâs First Fully Open Source, Standards-Based Health Information Exchange (HIE) Software Solution Platform

http://ca.sys-con.com/node/1249180/print

Open-Source Community Gears Up for 'Meaningful Use' Rules

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, experts convened at the
| WorldVistA Community Meeting to discuss
| strategies for aligning open-source health
| IT systems with federal regulations on the
| certification and "meaningful use" of
| electronic health records, Modern
| Healthcare reports.
`----

http://www.ihealthbeat.org/articles/2010/1/15/open-source-community-gears-up-for-meaningful-use-rules.aspx

Which VistA

http://vistapedia.net/index.php?title=Which_VistA

DSS Announces Availability of vxVistA Open Source EHR

http://www.vxvista.org/display/ann/DSS%2C+Inc.+Announces+Availability+of+vxVistA+Open+Source+EHR

Recent:

How software companies could screw up Obamaâs health care reform.

,----[ Quote ]
| Things did not go so smoothly at Childrenâs
| Hospital of Pittsburgh, which installed a
| computerized health system in 2002. Rather
| than a godsend, the new system turned out to
| be a disaster, largely because it made it
| harder for the doctors and nurses to do
| their jobs in emergency situations. The
| computer interface, for example, forced
| doctors to click a mouse ten times to make a
| simple order...
|
| Why did similar attempts to bring health
| care into the twenty-first century lead to
| triumph at Midland but tragedy at
| Childrenâs? While many factors were no doubt
| at work, among the most crucial was a
| difference in the software installed by the
| two institutions. The system that Midland
| adopted is based on software originally
| written by doctors for doctors at the
| Veterans Health Administration, and it is
| whatâs called "open source," meaning the
| code can be read and modified by anyone and
| is freely available in the public domain
| rather than copyrighted by a corporation.
`----

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2009/0907.longman.html

NHIN Connect Project Freedom Award Acceptance Letter

,----[ Quote ]
| On behalf of the entire Federal Health
| Architecture and the CONNECT Open Source
| Community, it is my pleasure to accept the
| 2009 Linux Medical News Freedom Award.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1260766542

California hospital to roll out OpenVista by year's end

,----[ Quote ]
| Hensler said OpenVista's comparatively low
| cost and speed of implementation cinched the
| deal with Carlsbad, Calif.-based MedSphere,
| which developed OpenVista for commercial use
| from the VistA system developed by the
| Department of Veterans Affairs. The pre-
| built OpenVista system will enable Kern
| officials to use the solution from day one
| and customize and enhance it over time to
| specific hospital needs, Hensler said.
`----

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/california-hospital-roll-out-openvista-years-end

HIE Firm Opens Platform to Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Salt Lake City-based vendor is not

| placing its source code on the open source
| market, Kipp Lassetter, M.D., chair and CEO
| emphasizes. "It's not a first step toward
| moving to open source, but definitely
| defining the system as an open system."
`----

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/open_source_HIE_platform_developers-39483-1.html

Health IT cited as evidence for importance of new open government directive

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.govhealthit.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=72698