[News] Update on i4i Versus Microsoft, Microsoft-funded Patent Parasite Blackboard Flees Case

  • Subject: [News] Update on i4i Versus Microsoft, Microsoft-funded Patent Parasite Blackboard Flees Case
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:57:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Patent Litigation Weekly: So What Do E.D. Texas Jurors Really Think?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft isnât giving up the court fight
| over the patent at issue just yet. On
| Friday, the companyâs legal team, led by
| Matthew Powers of Weil, Gotshal & Manges,
| filed a petition with the Federal Circuit
| asking for a rehearing en banc. Powers
| didn't return calls for this story.
| Earlier coverage on i4i's trial win, post-
| trial action, and Federal Circuit win is
| available from the AmLaw Litigation Daily.
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2010/01/jurors-from-i4i-v-microsoft.html

Head of Microsoft-beating i4i explains next moves in XML lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The chairman of the company that has won
| an injunction preventing Microsoft from
| selling Word 2007 because of patent
| infringement says he will not license the
| technology to the company â and has not
| ruled out going after any other products
| that infringe its XML patent.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/12/microsoft-i4i-chairman-interview-xml-lawsuit

Blackboard v. Desire2Learn Is Over

,----[ Quote ]
| All lawsuits have been dropped by both sides.
| The companies will cross-license each othersâ
| patent portfolios under undisclosed terms,
| which gives both companies an opportunity to
| save face. After three and a half years,
| higher education can move on. Left unresolved
| is the larger question of the role of patents
| in higher education, but that is at least as
| much a question for the universities as it is
| for the vendors.
`----

http://mfeldstein.com/blackboard-v-desire2learn-is-over/

Opinion No. 19: Official Acknowledgement by the Commission

http://jukkarannila.fi/lausunnot.html#nro_19

Recent:

How to sue Microsoft - and win

,----[ Quote ]
| Prepare your case. When it comes to taking
| on a company the size and stature of
| Microsoft, don't expect legal eagles to
| bang down your door.
|
| Instead, Owen says, "we assembled the
| [patent infringement] claim, the
| background and the history in an
| extraordinarily detailed, analytical way.
| We prepared the case as best we could
| independently before meeting with leading
| counsel and luminaries in the industry."
|
| Don't lose track of your day job. A much-
| ballyhooed, two-year legal battle against
| Microsoft can significantly distract
| employees and completely consume a
| company's top brass.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/23/smallbusiness/i4i_microsoft_lawsuit/index.htm

Taking On the Big Boys

,----[ Quote ]
| Donât call OPTi Inc. CEO Bernie Marren a
| âpatent troll.â
`----

http://www.portfolio.com/companies-executives/2009/12/16/this-companys-not-afraid-to-take-on-apple-intel-other-tech-players/

OPTi Shows: When You Can't Compete In The Market, You Sue For Patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Reader BakaYaro points us to this article
| about OPTi, the company that recently won a
| $21.7 million patent ruling against Apple,
| where the company's CEO insists it's not a
| patent troll because it's only suing over
| patents that it got itself. It seems that
| Bernie Marren is trying to redefine what a
| "patent troll" is to mean just someone who
| buys patents and sues. But the real story
| shows that OPTi is yet another example of
| patents harming, not helping, innovation. The
| company used to produce products, but other
| companies eventually caught up, and OPTi
| couldn't compete.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091218/1101237430.shtml

OMG! IBM Patented LOL! ROTFLMAO!

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091230/0957277551.shtml

i4i tells its side of the story: Microsoft ruined our business

Another Reason To Use ODF

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.486.3