[News] Patent Trolls and Their Conspirators Get Money from Cisco After Suing Employee

  • Subject: [News] Patent Trolls and Their Conspirators Get Money from Cisco After Suing Employee
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:59:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cisco Systems Settles Defamation Suit Over Blog Posting

,----[ Quote ]
| Longview, Texas, lawyer T. John "Johnny"
| Ward Jr. has settled the defamation suit
| he filed against Cisco Systems Inc. over a
| posting on the Patent Troll Tracker blog.
|
| That Oct. 18, 2007, posting by Patent
| Troll Tracker blogger Richard Frenkel --
| then a Cisco in-house lawyer -- had
| alleged that Ward and Longview lawyer Eric
| Albritton conspired with the Eastern
| District of Texas clerk's office to alter
| the filing date of an infringement suit,
| allegations denied by all.
|
| The settlement in John Ward Jr. v. Cisco
| Systems Inc. came a month before the suit
| was set for trial in U.S. District Judge
| Jimm Larry Hendren's court in the Western
| District of Arkansas. Hendren signed an
| order on Jan. 11 dismissing the suit with
| prejudice, subject to terms of a
| settlement agreement.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202438981803&Cisco_Systems_Settles_Defamation_Suit_Over_Blog_Posting

It's a corrupt, unethical system. Time to shut it down.

UN Report: Indigenous Rights Ignored In Global IP Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The cultures of indigenous peoples have
| frequently been ignored when global
| standards on intellectual property were
| being set, a new United Nations report has
| stated.
|
| Intellectual property issues feature
| prominently in State of the Worldâs
| Indigenous People, the first UN
| publication that aims to give a
| comprehensive overview of how the 370
| million individuals considered as
| indigenous fare in terms of their health,
| education, income and access to employment.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2010/01/14/un-report-indigenous-rights-ignored-in-global-ip-policy/

Recent:

Pending patent backlog at 4.2 million, says WIPO

,----[ Quote ]
| The IPKat thinks that making the system more efficient is
| all very good, but wonders how far this will go in reducing
| the backlog.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2009/09/pending-patent-backlog-at-42-million.html

Troll Tracker defamation case settles before going to jury

,----[ Quote ]
| None of the lawyers involved in the case would comment on
| the settlement Monday. Cisco issued a statement Tuesday
| morning in which it said the dispute between the parties
| "has been resolved to their mutual satisfaction, and Rick
| Frenkel and Cisco apologize for the statements of Rick
| Frenkel on the Troll Tracker blog regarding Eric M.
| Albritton." Frenkel is now of counsel at the Silicon Valley
| law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2009/09/troll-tracker-defamation-case-settles-before-going-to-jury.html

Patent Troll Tracker Case Settled... So When Can Frenkel Start Blogging Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| The real question is whether or not this means Frenkel will
| start blogging again. Some of his statements in the past
| (and having to go through this entire ridiculous process)
| suggest that he may not blog again. However, I'm hopeful
| that he'll get back to it, though obviously not anonymously
| any more. His work in highlighting some of the more
| nefarious actions of patent system abusers is still sorely
| missed.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090922/1611326286.shtml

Albritton v. Patent Troll Tracker