[News] [Rival] The World Increasingly Boycotts Microsoft IE, Inherently Insecure

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] The World Increasingly Boycotts Microsoft IE, Inherently Insecure
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 04:10:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

German government warns against using MS Explorer

France joins Germany warning against Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| France has echoed calls by the German
| government for web users to find an
| alternative to Microsoft's Internet
| Explorer (IE) to protect security.
|
| Certa, a government agency that oversees
| cyber threats, warned against using all
| versions of the web browser.

Microsoft: upgrade to IE8, even though it's vulnerable

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is advising its customers to
| upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 - even
| though the latest version of its browser
| is vulnerable to a serious security
| attack.
|
| The software giant issued a statement
| urging people to upgrade their browser,
| after the zero-day exploit that was used
| to attack companies such as Google went
| public.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/354868/microsoft-upgrade-to-ie8-even-though-its-vulnerable

Internet Explorer vulnerable on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| So it seems that an Internet Explorer zero
| day vulnerability allowed the back door to
| be opened that resulted in the hack attack
| on Google and many others that has
| received such publicity this week.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story253418.html

Exploit code for potent IE zero-day bug goes wild

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/15/ie_zero_day_exploit_goes_wild/

Microsoft releases IE6 flaw fix

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1587485/microsoft-releases-ie6-flaw-fix

British government ignores MS browser fears

,----[ Quote ]
| France and Germany have already told their
| citizens to avoid Microsoft's Internet
| Explorer because of a critical hole in the
| browser, so what does the British
| government think?
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft confirmed that the hole was used
| in the attacks against Google and 33 other
| companies believed to come from China.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/18/browser_hole/

Has China helped Google in the browser wars?

,----[ Quote ]
| This terrible piece of PR for Microsoft
| comes just as the IE browser which had
| almost total control of the market starts
| to come under pressure - not just from the
| open-source Mozilla Firefox, but from
| Google's Chrome.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/01/has_china_helped_google_in_the.html

Microsoft Support Policies Guarantee Insecure Products

,----[ Quote ]
| I've written it many times before: Nobody
| is more generous with support lifecycles
| than Microsoft. Operating system security
| updates are provided for about 10 years.
| Are Linux or Mac OS versions from 10 years
| ago still being updated? The answer is no,
| and not for a long time.
|
| Combine this with a couple of side-
| policies of Microsoft's: They don't issue
| new browsers with OS service packs and
| they support the browser that comes with
| the operating system and the implication
| is that browsers also get supported for
| about 10 years. The technical term for
| this is "Nearly Unlimited Technical
| Support" or NUTS.
|
| And it's not just browsers. Because
| Windows 2000 is still supported, so is
| Outlook Express 5.5 (possibly 5.01 as
| well, I can't quite confirm it).
`----

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2010/01/microsoft_support_policies_gua.php

Recent:

German web security office warns of "critical" flaws in Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| Germany's Office for Information Security
| (BSI) has issued a warning against using
| Microsoftâs Internet Explorer (IE). The
| advisory follows cyber attacks against Google
| believed made possible by the IE weaknesses.
`----

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5132998,00.html

Related:

Ruled by court: IE insecure