Re: [News] Chinese Ubuntu-based Clone of Windows XP Now in English, Dell China Sells Ubuntu Linux on OptiPlex

____/ Marti van Lin on Tuesday 19 Jan 2010 11:14 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ Marti van Lin on Monday 18 Jan 2010 17:29 : \____

>>> Heh, what about my Ubuntu 9.10 (Gnome) Win7 look alike?:
>>
>>> http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/ml2mst/screenshots/u7_menu.png
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y9ploq4
>>
>>> (Clean desktop with menu).
>>
>>> http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/ml2mst/screenshots/u7_fileman.png
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y8om73d
>>
>>> (Nautilus filem anager).
>>
>>> http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/ml2mst/screenshots/u7_cylinder.png
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yaeg2t6
>>
>>> (Compiz-Fusion Cylinder).
>>
>>> http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/ml2mst/screenshots/u7_config.png
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yavvd5j
>>
>>> (Configuration center).
>>

>> KDE4 has Vista 7 lookalike themes too.
>
> That's true, however this is only a matter of taste of course, but the
> current default KDE theme (Air) looks a lot better than the Vista 7
> theme IMO.

Agreed. I use Oxygen though (and never change cause it's mint!).

> I always replace Kickoff with Lancelot. Which I think looks and feels a
> lot better:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/SpbAus7D74I/AAAAAAAAAMM/tkT3bao9mKw/s1600-h/kde_430_lancelot.png
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yzzvcff

I only use the menu/s maybe once in two weeks. All my programs are in xbindkeys and the main panel.
Lancelot looks great but takes a lot of RAM in vain (I don't use it).

> I think KDE4 doesn't require a Vista7 alike metamorphose, since it is
> already pretty Windowish out of the box.

Check out BRLix GNU/Linux 1.1 (formerly Famelix GNU/Linux)

http://www.brlix.org/site/

It looks just like Vista 7 (out of the box even!), but it's based on KDE4.

> Here is some more KDE4 eye candy for starters:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dQCKkApAq-Q/Ss3H_gQM5uI/AAAAAAAAANM/4YVIOdOpvao/s1600-h/kde43.png
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ydfqgrc
>
> (damn, I regret that I reduced the color depth of that screen shot).
>>

>>> The differences between this Ubuntu Win7 look alike and Win7 are:
>>
>>> GNU/Linux boots faster;
>>> GNU/Linux runs faster;
>>> GNU/Linux can "talk" to "Windows shares" and vice versa;
>>> GNU/Linux doesn't require anti spyware and anti mallware;
>>> GNU/Linux updates all the installed applications;
>>> GNU/Linux is Free;
>>> This distribution of GNU/Linux is 100% gratis
>>

>> It's also more ethical. It supports passionate programmers, not racketeers
>> who should be sentenced to prison.
>
> Indeed, using GNU/Linux gives me a good feeling of "innocence" (no need
> to use "pirated" software). And thus good for your karma ;-)

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Rainy Manchester is a good place to live in... if you're a flower or a tree.
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie