[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux in Big Server Farms and Ancient PCs Alike

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux in Big Server Farms and Ancient PCs Alike
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:42:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Grow Your Own Cloud Servers With Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| You can install the default Ubuntu OS
| images or create your own to be virtualized.
| The node controllers are where you can run the virtual
| machine (VM) instances of the images.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3858961/Grow-Your-Own-Cloud-Servers-With-Ubuntu.htm

Ubuntu 9.10 at 120Mhz, 80Mb

,----[ Quote ]
| Ordinarily Ubuntu and Debian wonât even
| install on 16Mb of memory â the installer
| program (yes, even the floppy-based
| installer program) crashes and burns
| without 32Mb of memory. In fact, neither OS
| will even boot without 20-30Mb of memory,
| regardless of how you get the system on
| there. (Itâs always possible that different
| architectures have different memory
| demands; perhaps a different machine could
| boot on less.)
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/ubuntu-9-10-at-120mhz-80mb/

Back from Debian: Meeting up with old Ubuntu.

,----[ Quote ]
| What is weird is that, I canât decide
| whether I want to use Debian or Ubuntu.
| Debian Squeeze is pretty awesome because
| the modifications are minimal, and itâs
| always updating but after a while I did get
| some major updates and it became really
| slow all of a sudden, and I wasnât really
| into it anymore. So I reinstalled Ubuntu
| Jaunty Jackalope, and itâs surprisingly the
| same slowness as an aging Debian Squeeze
| installation. I think these installations
| get slow because of the dependencies being
| install from the beginning of use. But,
| itâs hard to tell. It could also be due to
| upgraded packages which have different
| configurations. Iâm not entirely sure.
`----

http://smyte.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/back-from-debian-meeting-up-with-old-ubuntu-2/