[News] Linux.conf.au Coverage Makes Impact on the Press

  • Subject: [News] Linux.conf.au Coverage Makes Impact on the Press
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:14:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

linux.conf.au is Live

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the many conferences and conventions
| held in the Open Source world, a select few
| stand out from the pack. Among these is the
| annual linux.conf.au, which brings hundreds
| of Linux and Open Source advocates together
| each year for a week of learning,
| networking, and more than a little fun.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-conf-au-is-live

linux.conf.au 2010: Day 2 (morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve followed with interest the NOSQL
| movement, and was interested to hear from
| Josh (of PostgreSQL Experts Inc.) what I
| expected would be a ârelationalistâ point
| of view.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/01/19/linux-conf-au-2010-day-2-morning/

linux.conf.au 2010: Day 2 (afternoon)

,----[ Quote ]
| LXC uses existing Linux kernel facilities
| to group processes within containers into
| control groups, which can then be used to
| control access and scheduling of resources
| (network, CPU, storage, etc.). Each
| resource type has a namespace similar in
| principle to what chroot() provides for
| filesystems. Since all of the hardware is
| visible to a single kernel, there can be a
| great deal of flexibility in how resources
| are allocated. For example, a given network
| device and CPU can be dedicated to a
| container.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/01/19/linux-conf-au-2010-day-2-afternoon/

In Pictures: The Australasia and Linux Quiz

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds was bitten by a penguin while holidaying in Australia. It's
| widely believed this encounter encouraged Torvalds to select Tux as the
| official Linux mascot.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/slideshow/332920/pictures_australasia_linux_quiz/

Technology Enthusiasts All Set to Attend Open Source Software Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wellington conference has been going on for 11 years and is one
| of the largest in the world to be held on the subject. More often, the
| conference is hosted by Australia, and this is the second time the New
| Zealand is getting to play host.
`----

http://www.topnews.in/technology-enthusiasts-all-set-attend-open-source-software-conference-2252121

Auckland: where a FOSS school is a reality

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Osborne is not a technical person. That's the first point he made
| when he stood up to deliver his presentation on The Open Source Secondary
| School at the 11th Australian national Linux conference this morning.
|
| He is an English teacher and the deputy principal of Albany Senior High School
| in Auckland which opened its doors in 2009. It has the proud distinction of
| being the first state-funded senior high school to exclusively use open
| source software for every need.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30564&Itemid=1090

Recent:

LCA2010 gets off the starting blocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Wellington sported a grey visage this
| morning, a time of day when geeks are
| normally sleeping off the effects of late-
| night hacking sessions and the excessive
| intake of coffee.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30535&Itemid=1090

LCA 2010: Wanna kill a FOSS community?

,----[ Quote ]
| Berkus' talk, at the "Business in Open
| Source" mini-conference this morning, was
| titled "Ten ways to destroy your
| community" and described in detail how a
| proprietary company could go about killing
| an open source community which it had
| acquired.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30541&Itemid=1090

Linux.conf.au - Day One

,----[ Quote ]
| January brings with it the southern-
| hemisphere's summer and Linux.conf.au.
| This year, the conference is being held in
| Wellington, New Zealand thanks to the hard
| work and dedication of the Capital Cabal,
| a team of volunteer organisers lead by
| Susanne and Andrew Ruthven.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linuxconfau-day-one-0

linux.conf.au 2010: Day 1 (morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| The theme for my morning, on the first day
| of the conference, was version control.
| The conference day was divided into mini-
| confs covering different topic areas, but
| this was a common theme of the sessions I
| attended in different mini-confs.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/01/18/linux-conf-au-2010-day-1-morning/

Rich and varied fare for open-source conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Also attending the conference with his
| latest âRepRapâ open source 3D printer is
| Vik Olliver, one of two Kiwis on the
| eight-person international project.
|
| At the more familiar ICT core of open
| source, Linux, Jonathan Courbet will give
| an update on recent developments in the
| Linux kernel and Ted Tso will talk about
| the filing system associated with Linux in
| its current version, ext4.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/4D3BFC61467BB90CCC2576AE00686D92

Windows Media streams at LCA: Pfeiffer to the rescue

,----[ Quote ]
| Pfeiffer, who organised the Foundations of
| Open Media Software workshop in Wellington
| in the week before the conference, got the
| assistance of a few people from the group
| and arranged for transcoding of the video
| from a proprietary format to the open Ogg
| Theora/Vorbis format.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30550&Itemid=1090

Hundreds flock to open source software conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 40% of delegates are from
| Wellington and other parts of New Zealand,
| 40% are from Australia with the remaining
| coming from various countries around the
| world.
|
| Open Source Society president Don Christie
| said a variety of topics would be
| discussed at the conference with a focus
| on technical development and raising the
| profile of open source software.
`----

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/hundreds-flock-open-source-software-conference-117210

LCA 2010: Spreading the FOSS message to the masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Australia's national Linux conference has a
| reputation of being among the better
| technical conferences held every year and
| geeks look forward to the annual event.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30498&Itemid=1090

Linux.conf.au 2010 Hits Wellington Next Week

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/01/linux-conf-au-2010-hits-wellington-next-week/

Rich and varied fare for open-source conference

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software conference
| linux.conf.au, taking place in Wellington
| all this week, will cover a healthy mixture
| of technical, social and even âsmall-pâ
| political topics â as well as allowing open
| source enthusiasts to chew the fat.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/4D3BFC61467BB90CCC2576AE00686D92

Big turnout expected for Wellington Linux-fest

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4D30AE62D0A5B9A5CC2576AB000E5557