[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Aiming to Become Windows-friendly/Gain Windows Compatibility

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Aiming to Become Windows-friendly/Gain Windows Compatibility
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:15:48 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Should Ubuntu include proprietary software?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a blog posting by Matthew Helmke, a
| member of the Ubuntu Forum Council, Helmke
| wrote, "We are trying to gather preferences
| for the apps that users would like to see
| in upcoming version of Ubuntu. While we all
| believe in the power of open source
| applications we are also very keen that
| users should get to choose the software
| they want to use. There are some great apps
| that aren't yet available to Ubuntu users
| and Canonical would like to know the
| priority that users would like to see
| them."
|
| Still, Ubuntu is hedging its bets. Helmke
| carefully spells out that "This is not
| about applications to be included by
| default, but merely things that we may
| attempt to make more easily available for
| Ubuntu users to install for themselves from
| official repositories."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15420/should_ubuntu_include_proprietary_software

Canonical to bundle CodeWeavers CrossOver?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a official post on the Ubuntu Forums,
| user Matthew (a official Canonical
| employee?) asks users to complete a survey
| with the applications they would like to
| see in the upcoming versions of Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/news/canonical-to-bundle-codeweavers-crossover.html

ReactOS May Begin Heavily Using Wine Code

,----[ Quote ]
| While we don't normally talk much about
| ReactOS, the free software operating system
| that was started some twelve years ago to
| provide binary compatible with Windows NT,
| there is a new proposal to abandon much of
| its Win32 subsystem that has built up over
| the past decade and to create a new Windows
| subsystem that in large part is derived
| from Wine code.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg4OQ

Recent:

  Canonical To Bring Closed Source Apps Like iTunes And Photoshop To Ubuntu?!?!

,----[ Quote ]
| Among these applications one can find:
| Spotify, Pandora, Hulu, Skype, WoW, Picasa,
| Adobe Photoshop, Apple iTunes and more.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/canonical-to-bring-closed-source-apps.html

Photoshop, iTunes and Evernote to appear on Ubuntu?

http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/photoshop-itunes-and-evernote-to-appear-on-ubuntu.html

Ylmf OS now available in English

,----[ Quote ]
`----