[News] Internet Laws Changed to Benefit Oppressors (and How to Fight Against It)

  • Subject: [News] Internet Laws Changed to Benefit Oppressors (and How to Fight Against It)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:55:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK Digital Economy Bill: Internet policing code released

,----[ Quote ]
| A code which will act as the model for
| Ofcom, the UK regulator, to supervise the
| new copyright enforcement measures against
| peer-to-peer downloading, has been drafted
| by the UK government.
|
| The Digital Economy Bill provides for the
| regulator, Ofcom, to supervise the new
| copyright enforcement measures targeting
| Internet users. The measures, which occupy
| over one third of the Bill, initially
| target peer-to-peer users, but in fact, the
| scope of the Bill looks set to go much
| wider. (I am still in the process of
| analysing it, but this is my current view.)
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=449&Itemid=9

HOWTO talk to your MP about the UK Digital Economy Bill - workshops this Saturday

,----[ Quote ]
| Florian from the UK Open Rights Group
| writes in with news of an upcoming set of
| workshops to help people who care about
| civil liberties and the open and free
| Internet talk to their Members of
| Parliament about the terrible Digital
| Economy Bill...
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/20/howto-talk-to-your-m.html

Recent:

Digital Economy Bill: Lords Want To Stamp Out Piracy Chasers

,----[ Quote ]
| Members of the House of Lords recently
| voiced concerns over the UK governmentâs
| Digital Economy Bill, stating that the
| problems facing the entertainment industry
| are largely of their own creation. There
| was also criticism of companies who demand
| cash from file-sharers in the UK, and ideas
| were put forward to end their scheme.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/digital-economy-bill-lords-want-to-stamp-out-piracy-chasers-091208/

Threatening Internet freedom in the UK

,----[ Quote ]
| All too often, the public policy world
| focuses on subtle legislative distinctions
| and on regulatory details. But once in a
| while, an issue comes along that strikes
| to the heart of the big principles. Such
| an issue erupted last week in the UK - an
| issue that incorporates two of the most
| important subjects on these pages: privacy
| and innovation.
`----

http://googlepolicyeurope.blogspot.com/2009/12/threatening-internet-freedom-in-uk.html

Lib Dems to oppose Mandelson copyright powers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Liberal Democrats are to oppose a
| clause in the Digital Economy Bill that
| would let the business secretary amend
| copyright law without parliamentary
| debate.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39927706,00.htm?s_cid=260

Debate on Mandelson's job

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conservatives have accused Business
| Secretary Lord Mandelson of "empire
| building", calling for his department to
| have a cabinet minister in the Commons.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_lords/newsid_8394000/8394205.stm

Pure Mint boss resigns BPI committee over Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://newsblog.thecmuwebsite.com/post/Pure-Mint-boss-resigns-BPI-committee-over-Digital-Economy-Bill.aspx