[News] SFLC Explores Free(dom) Mobile Software, YouTube Pressured into Standards

  • Subject: [News] SFLC Explores Free(dom) Mobile Software, YouTube Pressured into Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:53:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Episode 0x1F: Is Mobile Software Freedom Possible?

,----[ Quote ]
| Aaron Williamson, Karen Sandler, and Bradley
| M. Kuhn discuss the issues of software freedom
| on mobile telephone devices.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2010/jan/19/0x1F/

Cool hack - html5tube

,----[ Quote ]
| Did I mention I hate flash? I do. It crashes a
| lot, and is overall a bad thing for the web,
| in my opinion. But I do enjoy watching videos
| on the web, and unfortunately, up to this day,
| flash is what most sites use to show videos.
| Months ago I read a couple of blog posts with
| nice hacks to make Firefox able to play
| youtube videos without using the flash player.
| Some recent discussions with colleagues at
| work got me itching to try my hand at
| something similar for Epiphany.
`----

http://blog.kov.eti.br/?p=103

Recent:

Vote for HTML5 open video (WE DID IT!)

,----[ Quote ]
| WE DID IT! Thanks everyone!!!
|
| http://productideas.appspot.com/#8/e=3d60a
|
| Official response:
|
|   We've heard a lot of feedback around
|   supporting HTML5 and are working hard to
|   meet your request, so stay tuned. We'll
|   be following up when we have more
|   information. We're answering this idea
|   now because there are so many similar
|   HTML5 ideas and we want to give other
|   ideas a chance to be seen.
|
|   [...]
|
|   YouTube Team
|
| Party time!
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-January/000838.html

Opera Using GStreamer, Pushing Ogg

,----[ Quote ]
| Wondering whether your browser supports the
| HTML5 audio and video tags? Check out the "Video
| for Everybody" test page, and the HTML5 <audio>
| and Audio() Support Tester page, linked off of
| JÃgenstedt's blog. The audio test page gives a
| full rundown of what audio encodings your
| browser supports, and provides tests. The video
| test page embeds a video using the video element
| from HTML5. If you're using a modern browser,
| you should be able to see video there.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/opera-using-gstreamer-pushing-ogg

Welcome to TinyOgg!