Re: IE zero-day used in Chinese cyber assault on 34 firms

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 21 Jan 2010 08:20 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 18 Jan 2010 16:28 : \____
>>

>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This suggests that corporates really ought to consider, from a security
>>> viewpoint, the Airbus approach to systems, particularly where security
>>> is such an issue.
>>>
>>> If all corporates were to insist on, say, 3 different browser types all
>>> concurrently in-use, then it's amazingly unlikely that the same flaw
>>> would be replicable so readily.
>>>
>>> If they were to go a step further forward, and insist on 3 different
>>> operating system code-bases, then this would further reduce the
>>> likelyhood of repeatable flaws.
>>
>> Diversity is crucial for survival. There are many cases of famine in
>> history* where limiting the diversity of crops led to mass-scale starvation
>> (viruses and bugs, not in the computer sense).
>>
>> Monoculture in agriculture is one massive risk in GMO.
>>

> GMO is all about Monsanto gaining global monopolies on staple crops.  I
> have no doubt that they would claim that should there be some new
> disease affecting their "patented" life, then they could just develop a
> new variant which would be immune.
>
> The fact that enormous numbers of people might starve to death in
> between is no doubt carefully airbrushed out of Montanto's utopian
> picture of plenty.
>
>>> Whilst there are now 9 possible combinations, at least this has reduced
>>> the threat to almost 10% of what it was at the beginning of my post,
>>> which is pretty good for a relatively inexpensive and utterly dramatic
>>> improvement in security.
>>>
>>> If these were to be run on, say, 3 different processing platforms, such
>>> as ARM, x86 and Cell, then we're now at 27 possibilities.
>>
>> But the machines inside the companies are interconnected. It's like a
>> submarine with chambers...
>
> Yes, indeed.
>

>>> Perhaps, once these 27 combinations have been in play for some time,
>>> companies might then analyse the number of genuine threats to each of
>>> their platform combinations, and/or the expense associated with each
>>> platform combination in order to keep it clean, then the worst 3 could
>>> be removed, and perhaps replaced with some other alternative.  This
>>> process could continue until a reasonable level of security has been
>>> achieved.
>>
>> Agreed. Linux has well over 10 Web browsers (a repo away), all of which are
>> potent.
>>
>> ____
>> *IIRC, there was one even in Ireland not so long ago, with a million deaths.
>>

> The potato famine, yes.  It was truly devastating, and resulted in
> enormous migration of Irish people to both the mainland UK, North
> America and elsewhere.

There are only 4 forms of potato left in this planet's fields... there are also 4 type of
cell tissues.... spot the anomaly?

We /engineer/ food. Oil, not soil.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the
process of putting them in. -- Dykstra
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 17:00:01 up 65 days, 14:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.92, 0.65